Notices
TrailBlazer SS Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

My Volant CAI install review

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Volant CAI install review

Well let me start off by saying that I was very dissappointed with the lack of attention to detail Volant had done with the TBSS kit. I've installed a million CAIs before including other Volant kits, but this one was by far the most difficult one yet. For a 30 minute job tops it ended up taking me just over an hour.

I've provided pics to walk y'all through my process. But before I get into that I'll say that it does provide a slight noticeable power increase mostly observed above 25mph. And obviously the addition of a CAI sound, even the wife noticed the first time she rode in it without me saying that I had done anything.

On to the install

First here's the stock shot;

And with the cover off;

Ok, so after removal of the stock piece I started the assembly of the filter to lid. No prob, went on easy. Next goes the MAF to the lid, well the supplied band clamp wouldn't tighten on to the MAF allowing it to slide out without force(as shown in pic);

So I re-used the stock lid to MAF clamp and cinched it down. Allowing for a tighter fit(see pic);

After that was complete it was time to install the lid and filter piece. Well the lid is basically the same size and shape as the stocker so you'd think it'd be a drop in and screw tight right? Wrong! The holes for the bolts to go in the retainer nuts were completely off. The pics show how I set the lid in place and snapped shots of each hole. I aligned one up and none of the others were in the right spot

So my solution was to take my Dremel tool and enlarge each bolt hole substantially. Here's one after enlarging, pic doesn't do the amount of enlarging justice.

So once all the holes were big enough to place the bolts accordingly I had to go to my tool chest and get washers big enough to cover the holes so the bolts could hold the lid down. That was a giant PIA!! The lid had to be stretched somewhat to allow clearance for all bolts into retainer nuts.

After that I just put the tube on, which went on just fine. All in all I was thouroughly displeased with Volant's craftsmanship of this kit. If I had boughten it straight from Volant I would have sent the F'er back to them and made my own! But I bought it new from a member on the board for a great deal so I figured I couldn't be overly unhappy. But new they are $330, and for that I would expect a better product.

Now that that's all out, performance wise after installation I do like the kit. It has a noticeable increase of pick-up at speed and sounds good as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up and thanks for the pics.
My wife and I looked at a dark blue TBSS this past weekend. (I'm trying to get her to trade her Murano in on it- maybe we can get your wife to call mine and tell her just how much she loves it )

I'd still send an email with the pics to Volant and tell them what you think.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Need More N2O Mod

need a pic of the inlet tube. I think i am just going to make my own. i need a 90 silicon fitting and some 4"pipe.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwalls54
need a pic of the inlet tube. I think i am just going to make my own. i need a 90 silicon fitting and some 4"pipe.
I'll get some pics of the tube for you Matt. I took some but my camera ran out of space, it's good now though.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

so, do you have a pic of the overall finished product?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Teching In

I did the install yesterday and had similar issues, but I paid full retail! I had it on the truck for about 30 minutes and it drove great but it was also hitting the hood and the engine cover did not fit right after install. I did not do any drilling or anything but I could only force 3 of the 4 air box screws in and I stopped there. There have been a lot more people with Volant problems on the TBSS on the TrailVoy forum. I am taking the damn thing back! Horrible product for the money I spent.