TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Off-road noob guide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The loco.. I meen local dealership here has 125/hour shop rate
Old 09-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Need More N2O Mod

all you need to do is get a 18mm(bad memory) socket and take a floor jack and lift the front some and tighen the bolts up some. remove the jack and measure the fender on each side so you can get it level. should take about 5 min to do it. you wont be making that much of a difference to get it realingned.

sorry i ment to reply to this a couple of days ago.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

hehe no worries

Sounds too easy... can't you make it a bit more complicated for me?

I dind't know that it would bugger the wheel allignment up... hmm..
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Need More N2O Mod

it will mess up the allignment if you go up a few inches but i dont think you will get that much out of the stock keys. you could go up the the ford keys and get probably 2" out of it and then you would need it reallinged
Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

I might have to look into it a bit more... would much preffer a early 80 K5, but none locally for my tiny budget. *L*
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

hey just found ur post buddy ur best bet is crank ur t-bars about 1.5in not to much more then get urself some extended leanght shox if ur on a budget order the skyjacker 9000 series and order the ones for a 3 in lift for the front of ur hoe then get urself some 285-70-17's u wnt fint a much better tire then the bfg at's but i am also now running nitto terra grapplers which seem to be just about as good (better in sand and on road alittle worse in deep mud equal in snow) and there cheaper.......thats the best place for u to start gd luck
Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks Man.

I was thinking about buying an older pickup that has 6 grand into the drive line, 6" lift, 33's, winch, tool box, ect... but its a dodge
The cab needs replacing, but he might have a lead on one.
He's asking 4500, but I'm about 4450 short. =\

Unless I can sell my old pickup...

Anyone need/want a '75 Silverado 3/4 with 1 ton suspension, Turbo 400, 14 bolt rear, 4.10 gears and 454?
It was my first truck and I spent 2 grand 5 years ago reserecting it from a 10 year slumber.

New:
4 core rad, lower ball joints, heater core, alt, starter, fuel pump, eldlebrock preformer carb, windshield, K&N filter, water pump, rad houses, plugs/wires/distributor...

Needs complete exhaust including manifolds, body is rusting and the driver's tail light has a short or bad ground.

Pretty easy fix up for HD workhorse or would make one hell of a parts turck!

Ideally I'd preffer a GM platform but I'm not supper picky... fullsize blazer or jimmy would be great. Bought a house and two vehicals in the last year so budget is pretty small.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Originally Posted by Rede
Thanks Man.

Unless I can sell my old pickup...

Anyone need/want a '75 Silverado 3/4 with 1 ton suspension, Turbo 400, 14 bolt rear, 4.10 gears and 454?
It was my first truck and I spent 2 grand 5 years ago reserecting it from a 10 year slumber.

New:
4 core rad, lower ball joints, heater core, alt, starter, fuel pump, eldlebrock preformer carb, windshield, K&N filter, water pump, rad houses, plugs/wires/distributor...

Needs complete exhaust including manifolds, body is rusting and the driver's tail light has a short or bad ground.

Pretty easy fix up for HD workhorse or would make one hell of a parts turck!

Ideally I'd preffer a GM platform but I'm not supper picky... fullsize blazer or jimmy would be great. Bought a house and two vehicals in the last year so budget is pretty small.
why not covert this to 4wd? sounds like a good platform to start with. you can pick up a 4wd lift for about $600 and the frame already has the holes in it. all you have to do is get some hardware and bolt the leaf springs in up front. and i am sure you can go to a junk yard to pick up a front axle and all the steering parts you would need. a tranny shop can probably swap the output shafts fairly cheap. if you have time and a place you can probably do all of that for less than $2000.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm... I guess that could be a possability too. I have a small garage to play in, but I lack tools beyond usual hand tools.
And of corse I wouldn't know what I'm doing.

Since the body is rusting, I thought it'd be easier to swap the motor over to an existing 4x4, but I havn't really seen anything local that's promicing... yet.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

body lift+cheap, 285-mt tires are a must for any off pavement driving, rear locker, t bar crank, oh and a third pedal, he he he he

Quick Reply: Off-road noob guide?