TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

help new to the lifted world

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jiar577 thanx for the pm. i was a member to that one at one time and those guy's are
so horrible to people on there that i will not go back this site is alot more friendly.

and just saying it but i have a second sterring shaft and i was taking some measurments yesterday and the one in my truck has a 1.5 inch exposed shaft below the sterring wheel at the u joint. now i marked an 1.5 inch's on the second shaft and than extended it outward over 5 inches and there is still more in there. i dident pullit compleetly out because they are a bitch to get back in so i dont know how much shaft is in there. but 5 inches is 2 over what i need any way. does any one see why this wont work? does the column need that much travel?if i have to get a spacer than thats what ill do.ill just have to find one or make one. cause honestly my kit i have is missing some pieces.
like the bumper brackets, sterring extenision if needed,and filler neck extenision, now ill also let you know that i can fabricate pretty good so if that is what i gotta do that so be it. i just need a strait up answer so i dont wast time doing somthing thats not needed thank's guys
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Exactly the reason why I stopped going to that forum, but still there're a few good write ups in that site, specially about lifted/offroad stuff, lots & lots of info on body lifts. Besides let's be honest, things roll too slow around here as most guys go the other way around (lower trucks).

I don't know the answers but I do remember I've read those exact questions over there, 100% sure as I was going to install one a few years ago. I'm sure a search on BL will help.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Default steering shaft extension

2 inches might seem like enough but you have to consider the stress that is on that shaft especially since you will be putting larger tires on it I would make or buy an extension just for safety.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

you can fit 35"s with a BL and crank but it all depends on how wide the rims and tires are. 10" wide rim with a wide tire and it will require lots of trimming.
As far as ford keys riding like **** its not the keys fault at all, its the owners fault. The more you crank the rougher it will ride.
I would go under the truck and spray all the body bolts a couple times before you attempt the body lift, you will need a shaft extension.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

I would check out craigslist if you really want a susp lift i picked up a superlift 6in with dual front shocks never bolted on for 800 all i had to do was print the instructions off the internet scince they were awol, and i have ten wide on truck now im not sure on the backspacing either, but they only rub when when im turn all the way one way and its not to awfuly bad if the sound of a rock on a washboard doesnt bothre you lol
Good luck!