TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Gear swap questions (torque converter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear swap questions (torque converter)

Okay, so my truck is a 2008 Silverado 4.8 with the 4L60E. Currently it has about 200,000 miles and I just changed the 3.23 gears out for 4.10s. Before I changed the gears out though, I had the transmission flushed. Anyway I get all that done and the transmission starts making a weird noise. It only makes the noise when it's idling in drive and when the truck is coasting. (Not under engine power) I'm thinking it has something to do with the torque converter or flywheel but don't know much about either. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows anything about it.? I'm really curious if it was caused by the gear swap because I've heard you need to get a higher/lower stall TC based on which direction you go with the gears & weight of the vehicle. Also buying or building a new transmission isn't a problem I'm just trying to figure out what the problem is so I can avoid it down the road. The stock TC stall is 1600 I believe and if the that's the problem, then what TC stall do I need? Truck also has 32" tires. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Changing your gears doesn't mean you have to change the stall. Not sure where you read that but that is not the case here.

If you swapped camshafts or something similar where you shifted the powerband higher, then you'd want to get a stall converter to help out.

Is your fluid level correct?

Flushing the transmission at 200,000 miles could have cause for concern too, possible that doing that is now the reason it's making noise.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger that. Pretty much what I thought. I meant to check fluid level before I left for Texas but I forgot because I was in a hurry. I guess I'll check that when I get back. I was gonna rebuild the trans anyway so I guess if that doesn't work it'll just come a little early. Thanks again