TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Good Value TQ Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate craftsman tq wrenches. , every one I've had never lasted or did I trust it .

When I did the 6.0 swap and put new head gaskets on I borrowed my buds snap on digital , talk about a badass wrench !

But I'm with you guys they are just way to expensive for how often we use them .
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

The biggest thing with any Torque wrench is that they have a service center.

As long as they have a Service center and they can be re-calibrated It is a no brainier.

I Own at least 10 different Snap On Torque wrenches including the digital line Because of the fact that they can be serviced at any time through my dealer. Snap on as been the only consistent dealer that has always serviced every shop I have worked at. I had to have the 1/2 Digital unit replaced under warranty because it kept shutting off In the middle of a Stretch Cycle. Some of the early units had connection issues. Snap on claims this was an issue on some early models and that there was a design change to correct this.

I also have a customer that Turns the handles and bodies for the Snap on Torque wrench. There made By a company that Snap on Owns which is CDI. You can buy a similar wrench for almost 1/2 the price if you get it with a Different Name. Your paying for the Name and Exclusive Ratchet head that is on the Snap on Wrench. Guess what the electronics inside the Snap on unit are probably made over seas as well. I do know for a fact the Electronics in there other devices like there Scan Tools are made over seas.

CDI makes several different Private label branded torque wrenches.

Look up the CDI Computorque 3 Model if you want a digital unit

In all honest I wouldn't hesitate to try the Brown line through our sponsor BLMW.
You can't really beat the price either... https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...pecial-510417/

The Craftsmen are usually accurate out of the box How ever they don't last for ever and I have seen several fail to torque correctly after some use...

The ones from Harbor freight are definitely no good. We took a brand new one out of the box and it was off by as much as 20 Lbs under the actual value up in the 100 FT lbs range. Some have held there ratings within 1 pound or 2 But do you really want to take a chance???

The biggest thing with any Manual type torque wrench is that you should always turn it down as far as it will go when your done. Never leave it cranked up. If you do, it will keep the spring inside compressed and over time it will loose it's tension and weaken which will intern throw of the actual torque value.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Check the sponsor section. We have a new sponsor that has a great deal on a digital torque wrench right now. Sounds like they can be re calibrated too!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...pecial-510417/
I have that exact same TQ wrench...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have that exact same TQ wrench...
How do you like it???
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  IMAG0663.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  41.7 KB
Just got.me one. Used it yesterday on some head studs, seemed to work great
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was only $99 shipped too.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

I know precision instruments makes snap-ons split beam and click style torque wrenches. You can get them on amazon decently priced
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

I bought two new craftsman inch and ft lb wrenches around black friday for about half price. I think i got the ft/lbs 1/2" for $60 and the inch lbs 3/8" for $40. Figured I couldn't go wrong for the price. Now you guys are making me nervous about the reliability of them. Guess I got them for cheap enough that I'm not out the $200+ they would have cost me if not on that black friday deal. Also good to know about cranking them down for storage, never considered that.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I highly recommend Armstrong and/or Proto also like a previous member stated, I bought an Armstrong 1/2" 25-250 Tq wrench and it has a real nice feel to it.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=WhiteChevy3;5049153]Name:  IMAG0663.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  41.7 KB
Just got.me one. Used it yesterday on some head studs, seemed to work great[/QUOTE

Brownline has excellent customer service
I had an issue with my tq wrench
They sent me one out free of charge and they paid for return of the defective one

Quick Reply: Good Value TQ Wrench