Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Anyone live near railroad tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone live near railroad tracks?

I am currently looking for a house, and I found one at a good price. The only problem is that there are railroad tracks behind the house. This is in spring, tx . Looking on google maps, I didnt see any crossings, so I dont think I would have to deal with the horn just the train noise. There is also a good amount of trees in between the house and the tracks.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm concerned about how loud the train will be, and possible resale problems. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by aQuickLS1; 10-11-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

i live right by railroad tracks..it aint bad at all.you will get used to it..its just annoying when your outside on the phone or having a conversation and that sob is blowing his damm horn off while passing by.sometimes i mistake it for loud thunder lol
Old 05-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the input. I was trying to see if I could find a schedule so I could at least drive over there and listen how loud it is. But could not find anything.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you're not near a crossing, you really do get used to it. Kind of blends into the background noise.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always lived near the Tracks! I'm so us to the Horns, they don't even wake me up anymore. Better than an Airport. Good luck with the House.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Only problem i see is it will be a negative to potential buyers if you try to sell it in the future
Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Only problem i see is it will be a negative to potential buyers if you try to sell it in the future
Yeah this was one of my concerns.

Thanks for all the reply's. I definatly feel a little better about it. I've been looking for a new house for a while now, and it's starting to become a pain. Pictures on the internet can be very deceptive.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

The first thing you need to do is find out if it is just an industry track or if it's a high traffic main line. You can get an idea just by looking at the track.

If it's big rail, very straight good looking rail as you look down the rail (no kinks or lumps and bumps in the rail as you look several hundred feet down it), and very shiny on top from lots of traffic, lots of nice ballast (gravel) with good looking ties, over all looks like very well kept track... that would be bad and a sign of possibly a high traffic high speed main line.

If it's small rail, not real shiny on top, as you look down the tracks does it have lots of kinks and not very straight with lots of old rotten ties, kinda looks like you wouldn't wanna go very fast on it? That would be good and it's probably just an industry track with a low volume of rail traffic that travels at a slow speed.

As far as derailments go, most derailments happen on curves. If the track near the house is all straight track (no curves) that's a plus.

Last edited by Fasglas; 05-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I will go take a look at the tracks. I actually go over these same tracks fairly often from where I live now. I've crossed over them probably 70-100 times if not more. And I have only had to wait on the train maybe three or four times.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Notorious BIG

I don't live by rr tracks but i see no one mentioned this yet so i'll throw it out there. if you have or plan on having a baby, be prepared for the baby to wake up if the train comes along. that could be hell....

Quick Reply: Anyone live near railroad tracks?