TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

How To: Plasti Dip (Emblems)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How To: Plasti Dip (Emblems)

What is Plasti Dip?

Plasti Dip is a rubbery, plastic spray that can be used to temporarily paint or color just about anything.
It can be used for grilles, bumpers, emblems, ect. The best part about Plasti Dip is that if you don't like
how it turned out, you messed up, or it gets scratched, you can just peel it right off with ease!

1) Gather Materials:

- Blue Painters Tape
- Newspaper or Printer Paper
- A very small flat head screwdriver or tool
- Plasti Dip (Found at any local hardware store)

Name:  V37J3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  5.3 KB

2) Cleaning the Emblem

Get a nice cleaner such as Windex or rubbing alcohol and rub the emblem until it is clean and dry.

3) Taping

When you tape around your emblem on your truck, make sure to get all of the chrome covered up that is
next to the emblem and in the corners of the emblem. If you end up missing a spot, it is not a big deal
because when Plasti Dip is dry, it will just peel right off.

4) Covering Your Truck

Make sure that before you spray the emblem that you have your truck covered in newspaper or printer
paper near where you are going to spray. You will get a little mist of paint that will drift off sometimes.
Again, this is not a big deal at all because the Plasti Dip will just rub right off.

5) First Coat

Make sure you shake the can for a solid minute or so. Test spray it on a piece of wood or something.
When you feel good about it, spray a light coat on the emblem. Make sure to get the edges. Only sweep
the emblem about 4 times so that you get a good light base coat on. Don't worry if it isn't very dark yet.
Wait 10 minutes for it to dry.

6) Second Coat

After waiting 10 minutes, sweep the emblem a couple more times than last time to ensure you get a nice
solid coat on there. Make sure that you do not cake it on there and you do not want any dripping. Make
sure you hold the can 6" away from the emblem at least. When you think you have a nice coat on there,
wait about 15 minutes for it to dry.

7) Third and Final Coat

After waiting 15 minutes, you need to inspect the emblem for any missed spots or for spots that didn't get
coated as heavily. Give the emblem a nice coat like the second coat, making sure that you get any spots
you may have missed. Wait 30 minutes to make sure it is fully dry.

8) Peeling the Tape

This can be the hardest part for some people because they accidentally pull the paint from the emblem.
Make sure you start peeling the tape from the outside in. The paint sometimes has a way of attaching
itself to the tape and the emblem. If this is the case, razor blade the paint so that you don't peel the
paint with the tape.

9) Scraping the Remains

On my emblem, some of the paint got in the cracks between the emblem and the grille so there was a
black outline in the cracks that looked pretty bad. I took the small flat head screwdriver and gently
scraped the extra Plasti Dip from the cracks.

10) The Finished Product

My emblems turned out pretty dang good and I know yours will too if you take your time and do it right.
If you have any questions please leave a comment below and I will try to answer it ASAP!
Here are some pics of my emblems:

How To: Plasti Dip (Emblems)-dbyqd.jpg

How To: Plasti Dip (Emblems)-ruush.jpg

Last edited by Truck Daily; 12-27-2012 at 11:34 PM.