TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

How to make a $6 dollar Gauge Pod for a 2007-2013 Trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts
Default How to make a $6 dollar Gauge Pod for a 2007-2013 Trucks.

I got this idea from another member who posted about it some time ago. I looked into more and figure for how cheap the part costs I need to try it myself.

I ordered my bezel piece off ebay because I didn't have the time to drive to the dealership. You may have to do the same if your dealership does not have the part in stock. The piece is used as the 4X4 switch from the factory.

Parts/Tools/ETC:

1 GM Bezel Trim Piece Part #15280782.
1 Dremel with a Cut off wheel and sanding drum.
Safety Glasses for flying hot plastic.
Maybe 20 minutes of your time if you work like a turtle.

You could use a hole saw drill bit but I didn't have one.

Take your new bezel trim piece and hack off the square on the back used to hold the factory switch in place. Get as close the bottom as possible to make it easier.

You'll see that the front hole is only 45mm or so wide and aftermarket gauges are 52mm for the most part. I am using a 52mm gauge so we have to make the hole larger. I took my sanding drum on the dremel just went to town on it. Kept making it larger and checking my size, test fit the gauge and grind away some more. Once it looks like some goofy *** looking hole and the gauge fits I used a round file to remove some edges.

On the back again you'll see where my screwdriver head is, there is a raise spot still from the square I cut off. That little section must be taken down flat so the gauge mount in the back can sit flush.

That's pretty much it and then you can install it in the vehicle. At the bottom is a picture of where it will mount in my truck once I get around to it.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Does that panel snap into place? It doesn't look like it snaps into place there. Good idea because I never use that little cubby for anything.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah it snaps in from behind.

You have to remove the dash trims around the radio and remove the cubby space first. Here is that cubby removed, I took this one out on my 2010 like 2 years ago when I made a insert for a gauge. I figured out the other method in this thread much later on.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info I also never use that cubby and wanted to mount a gauge in that spot once I get going on my build