TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

DIY bed liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jessanator
looks really good following that body line. i've seen a lot of people just put down tape and go. looks horrible that way
thanks, i was really impressed at how clean the edges came off with the tape, almost zero cleanup with a razor blade.

been 4 months and its still holding up great. one thing that supprised me was that when you wash it comes back just as clean as when you sprayed it on. wont trap dirt like my linex does.
Attached Thumbnails DIY bed liner-2012-07-27_09-38-41_715.jpg   DIY bed liner-2012-07-27_09-38-12_849.jpg   DIY bed liner-2012-03-23_12-23-35_921.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

great thread. ive bought some but not used yet. a buddy has done several vehicles and all look great which is why i bought to eventually use in my truck bed.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:24 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Cool!! My one concern about the spray can liners is it's so thin that it chips and flakes too easily but looks like yours is holding up well!!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Another thing for the person that asked about Herculiner or anyone else interested, is that it fades pretty quick and looks like crap. The directions also talk about adding sand for more grip. All it did on the truck I did was make it break apart. Would not do again.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rudy91040
Another thing for the person that asked about Herculiner or anyone else interested, is that it fades pretty quick and looks like crap. The directions also talk about adding sand for more grip. All it did on the truck I did was make it break apart. Would not do again.
With the herculiner you have to spray their UV inhibitor on top. Im guessing you added too much sand or did some prep wrong if it fell apart. Been going on 10 years in my dads jeep, and it doesnt have a chip yet. The other thing about herculiner is that touch up just requires a quick de-grease and roll some more on.

Ive also been looking at monsterliner. Its more costly than hurculiner or raptor but it can go on thick (2 coats should be about 40 mils, their rep said 2 gallons will give 3 coats on an 8' bed ). Im thinking of getting it in white to paint my rockers and lower doors/bed like you did. Its also uv stable so no fading, and it can be thinned and sprayed to alter the texture.
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

Theres just too many choices when it comes to this stuff. Im surprised anybody buys rhino or linex anymore for the cost.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good info here for STICKY....
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy_freak
With the herculiner you have to spray their UV inhibitor on top. Im guessing you added too much sand or did some prep wrong if it fell apart. Been going on 10 years in my dads jeep, and it doesnt have a chip yet. The other thing about herculiner is that touch up just requires a quick de-grease and roll some more on.

Ive also been looking at monsterliner. Its more costly than hurculiner or raptor but it can go on thick (2 coats should be about 40 mils, their rep said 2 gallons will give 3 coats on an 8' bed ). Im thinking of getting it in white to paint my rockers and lower doors/bed like you did. Its also uv stable so no fading, and it can be thinned and sprayed to alter the texture.
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner outperforms Herculiner Bed Liner, Duplicolor and Rustoleum Road Warrior

Theres just too many choices when it comes to this stuff. Im surprised anybody buys rhino or linex anymore for the cost.
When I did the kit, it was about 15 years ago and there was no UV inhibitor in the kit or as an option when I bought it at Pep Boys. Another guy at my work has the same fading effect and his is about 13 years old. Not sure if he did the uv coat thing. Things have probably changed. Mine never chipped or flaked. It just kind of ground down. I over-loaded that little truck with all kinds of stuff. But like I said, things have probably changed.

Good info on the Monsterliner by the way. Looks promising
Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

looks good
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Exterior Bed Liner getting pretty awesome

I think the lines look great too. I think that the UV stability issues are being solved for the most part which is why exterior applications are becoming popular now... I had herculiner on my 1997 dodge dakota. I put it on in like 2003 I think. It greyed out pretty thoroughly by 2008. So, then I would have never put this stuff on the outside of my truck. BUT, then in the last few years I started seeing it more and more.... The UV Stable top coat for herc is crucial.... Raptor really works good for what it is. Pretty cheap, but if you want a solid 50-60 mils, you really need Spray-Lining or Al's Liner. They both have UV stable materials. Anyways, the external applications are pretty awesome and I am thinking about going to Line-X for colored exterior, but it's wayyyyyyyy expensive. Spray-Lining has colored kits for < $1000 that use automotive grade UV stable tint... Monstaliner seems really big on color, but they are a roll on. I want to spray it for a reason, you know?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flfishkillR
I think the lines look great too. I think that the UV stability issues are being solved for the most part which is why exterior applications are becoming popular now... I had herculiner on my 1997 dodge dakota. I put it on in like 2003 I think. It greyed out pretty thoroughly by 2008. So, then I would have never put this stuff on the outside of my truck. BUT, then in the last few years I started seeing it more and more.... The UV Stable top coat for herc is crucial.... Raptor really works good for what it is. Pretty cheap, but if you want a solid 50-60 mils, you really need Spray-Lining or Al's Liner. They both have UV stable materials. Anyways, the external applications are pretty awesome and I am thinking about going to Line-X for colored exterior, but it's wayyyyyyyy expensive. Spray-Lining has colored kits for < $1000 that use automotive grade UV stable tint... Monstaliner seems really big on color, but they are a roll on. I want to spray it for a reason, you know?
Grave digging slighty, but you can spray on Monstaliner.

Quick Reply: DIY bed liner