PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/technical-write-ups-201/)
-   -   Diy aux input on a factory radio (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/technical-write-ups-201/diy-aux-input-factory-radio-482491/)

beingblueeyes 05-17-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by wizzle335 (Post 4701590)
Not an option on trucks without a cassette player?

you would need a tape player or cd player for this, im 99% sure it cant be done with just a fm radio

Sc00by 05-18-2011 09:01 AM

beingblueeyes = :hail::hail::hail::hail:

I love tech mods like this! Too bad I already have my aftermarket sitting in the closet. :cry: Great write up!!!!! :cheers:

Steve-O-08 05-18-2011 01:52 PM

Nice write up! I had a 6 disc from a buddy's SS that I got for free that I was going to do this mod on. Ended up getting a after market head unit instead.

wizzle335 05-19-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by beingblueeyes (Post 4701712)
you would need a tape player or cd player for this, im 99% sure it cant be done with just a fm radio

I have the cd player, but no tape player in my 04 RC. Would the wire up be the same? I'll check to see if the chip is the same.

beingblueeyes 05-19-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by wizzle335 (Post 4703044)
I have the cd player, but no tape player in my 04 RC. Would the wire up be the same? I'll check to see if the chip is the same.

i think if you have the same chip to make it work you'll have to use cd-r cd-l for the aux input on the ship and use a blank cd in the cd player

Thinken Big 02-21-2012 01:21 PM

Awesome write up man, I want to give this a shot on my 6 disc changer
I have one questions though, if I have the CD/Aux button on my head unit wouldn’t I just be able to use the AUX_L and AUX_R for inputs instead of tying into the CD player and having to put a blank CD into the changer?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thinken Big 02-21-2012 05:59 PM

So, I pulled my stereo out and it doesn’t look like the AUX pins go any ware so I guess that’s out but now I am wondering why I have TAPE pins if I don’t have a tape deck?
And yes I do have the same chip SAA7706H.

So with the 6 disc changer (and the input soldered on to the CD_L & CD_R) could I just leave one blank disc in the changer and when I want to use the input just change to the CD and turn on the input device?
And one more, I do not see a “ground pad” where would a good point be to attach the ground?

Pic of my board:
http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...g/P2210112.jpg

Chevy_freak 03-04-2012 04:44 AM

7 Attachment(s)
This is a copy from a write-up I did on GMFS.

Bump. Finally did this on my 03 Yukon Denali. I have the RSE, XM, Bose and 6 disc changer and everything works as it should.

As a side note, doing this will over-ride the XM, CD changer, and rear seat entertainment imputs. Therefore you'll have to unplug from the aux jack to use any of the original sources.

1st: Parts and tools

Attachment 143637
Attachment 143638

Cable I made with 18ga. wire

Attachment 143639

Center console drilled with jack installed. A 1/4" bit should be fine for the hole, but I had a index that goes to the 32nd so I used two steps down from 1/4" and it's preety damned snug.

Attachment 143640

Spliced into the harness behind the dash. This seemed easier than opening the radio to me. The wires will be in a bundle wrapped with tape and shielding. DO NOT get the other green wire that isn't wrapped up with the shielding.
Pin 1: To black/white wire
Pin 2: To Radio side of brown/white wire
Pin 3: To XM side of brown/white wire
Pin 4: To XM side of green/white wire
Pin 5: To Radio side of green/white wire

Attachment 143641

yes, I heat shrinked everything and taped the bundle back up when I was done.

Attachment 143642

It works!

still use the cigarette lighter, it's one of 4, but I can leave the ipod on a charger in the console this way.

Attachment 143643

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pxUZ...3&feature=plcp

sorry for the picture quality, I broke my samsung so I had to use an old shitty panasonic. Also, shot the video with my ipod nano 5.

voless 03-26-2012 05:19 PM

I did this on my 05 chevy silvy with 6 disc, res, xm. I only have one problem when i connect my phone to the jack it doesnt cut out my xm sound completely. I can still hear it very fainlty. Any ideas on why it would only partially cutout my xm.

Chevy_freak 03-30-2012 01:02 PM

If you did it externally as I did, you may have melted the jack when soldering the wires on and two of the pins are making contact. Mine I could hear faintly but only if my aux source was turned off (the ipod) and the volume was cranked past halfway, but I chalked that up to a lack of shielding in my homebuilt cable. People have used cat5e cable with good luck as it has a capacitance twist as shielding between the individual wires.

I'd also check that all your splices are well insulated (heatshrink or good electrical tape) as you could have a stray strand crossing over that was overlooked.