STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Tahoe doesn't respond to key fobs anymore

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the problem is the door module, how do I reprogram it? Stealership?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

there are videos on youtube. i'm learning a lot from this thread. i have an 02 silverado that i cannot get to accept a remote. was planning on getting new remotes. i think i'll try unplugging/plugging in first to see if it does anything for me
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
there are videos on youtube. i'm learning a lot from this thread. i have an 02 silverado that i cannot get to accept a remote. was planning on getting new remotes. i think i'll try unplugging/plugging in first to see if it does anything for me
Just watched a couple of those videos, thanks. So it sounds like I can swap in a new module, then just program the module using my existing remotes.

To program the module to the remotes, hold down the unlock button on the driver door, cycle the key to run then off twice to enter programming mode, then hold the lock and unlock buttons on each remote simulataneously for 15 seconds or until the truck locks and unlocks, then turn the key to run and off again to exit programming mode. You have to do all of the remotes at this time, ones you don't program now, the truck won't recognize.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:35 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Your 2002 RKE system is completely different than the 2003+ trucks. Your power window & lock switches are just switches, not modules.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Roger, is 10398574 the correct part number for the window switches with the module?
Old 12-31-2013, 04:04 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish I still had the access & could check for you.

I'd suggest calling your local dealer with your VIN.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I wish I still had the access & could check for you.

I'd suggest calling your local dealer with your VIN.
haha, no worries, I'll give them a call.

Edit: they gave me 10398571, which lists as the Window Switch. Haven't been able to find a picture of one to verify it is what I am looking for, and parts and service at the dealership had no idea where the keyless entry module was in my truck

GM Parts Direct doesn't list 10398574 but they do show 10398571, and the dealership didn't show the 574 in their system. I am guessing the 571 is the new and redesigned part # as eBay has plenty of the 574 switches that are used. I will likely go the 574 route for $40 instead of $140 for the (I'm guessing) redesigned part.

Last edited by TX Tahoe Z71; 12-31-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The 571 part number is a new superceded part number.
The new module will have to be programmed for your truck. What the programming does is tell the module if your truck is equipped with power fold mirrors heated and cooled seats and or camper mirrors if the module does not have the correct flash calibration the above features may or may not work but window and door lock operation will function.

Use the below procedure to program your remotes to the new PDM if you go the used route and do not have it all programmed at a dealer.

The order in which the transmitters are programmed will determine its numbering position within the PDM memory. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. The number stamped on the transmitter case is for reference only; #2 can be programmed as #1, or vice versa. Additional unnumbered transmitters are also available.

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

The plot thickens...

I reprogrammed the truck to all of the remotes using the steps 01WS6 posted above. Only 1 of my 3 remotes was accepted, and the one I always use on my keychain wasn't accepted the first time, then was accepted with a lock/unlock BUT with a quick honk at the end. That remote still doesn't work to lock/unlock the truck, so what does the honk mean during programming? Does the honk mean the truck detects the remote but the remote is bad?

But the good news is that one of the three remotes works, so I just put that one of my keychain and am good to go. I'm still stumped about the honk during programming though
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM
High on diesel fumes

Mine turned out to be a bad remote. I bought replacements on ebay and they are fine. That may not be the issue with yours though since you have 2 that don't work all of a sudden.

Quick Reply: Tahoe doesn't respond to key fobs anymore