STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

system wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default system wiring help

so i just installed a 4 channel for my interior speakers... Im getting alternator whine and cant seem to figure it out... all my grounds seem to be good and clean, here is the strange part. it stops whining when i unhook the RCA's for the mono amp... but the only thing they share is the remote. anyone have any ideas??
Old 05-15-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You might have bad wires...it happens with cheaper wires when they get too close to eachother. When you unhook the RCA's that means there is nothing going to the amp....so I would try and mess with the remote wire. Try to run them away from any other wiring and away from the wiring harness under the dash.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes but the rca's im unhooking have nothing to do with the amp that are powering my interior speakers.. that amp is just for my sub
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Do your power and signal wires cross? Are they laying beside each other? You might have already know this, but this might help you...

Try to run your power wire on one side of the truck and the signal (RCA's) on the other. You don't want the signal and power wires to cross if at all possible. If they HAVE to cross, make sure you cross them close to 90*'s. It's well known that ground noise can be traced back to having the power and signal wires running side-by-side. Also, make sure you have a good solid ground on all your amps. Make sure they are at least 2' or closer from the amp and that you have a good solid bare metal grounding point. Also, make sure your ground wire is just as large or larger than your power wire.

Might not have much to do with your alternator whine, but do the big3 upgrade while you're at it. Search online on how to do it!

Hope this helps!

And do check those RCA's... Buy a nice quality set for both your 4-channel and mono. www.knukonceptz.com Best wire available, imo.