STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Radio without the key in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio without the key in.

Questions. 04 Silverado.
I want to be able to run my radio with the doors open without the key in the ignition or any bells and gongs going off.
I want to be able to enter my truck without letting everyone know I am doing it.
I want to disable all the alarms and such.

Help.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Masked
Questions. 04 Silverado.
I want to be able to run my radio with the doors open without the key in the ignition or any bells and gongs going off.
I want to be able to enter my truck without letting everyone know I am doing it.
I want to disable all the alarms and such.

Help.
I just put in an aftermarket stereo and wired it hot. If thats what you are thinking about doing....I think the bells are coming through the speakers...ooops...you already knew that!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

Default No.

Originally Posted by closet red neck
I just put in an aftermarket stereo and wired it hot. If thats what you are thinking about doing....I think the bells are coming through the speakers...ooops...you already knew that!!!
I want to use the OE radio without the key in and no alarms. You know, like at a picnic. And no, not with the doors closed and windows down either.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Masked
I want to use the OE radio without the key in and no alarms. You know, like at a picnic. And no, not with the doors closed and windows down either.
Ya I know....I was just saying that if you put a different stereo in, you could bypass the dingging!!! If you want to use the stocker.....I think if you pull the stereo out and cut the bell wire, the stereo will not work. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!!! This is what a buddy told me!!! Not sure!!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah that **** rellly gets annoying!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

the factory radio works off data for the switch wire on gm 03 and newer. so there is no switch wire behind the radio you could just power up. if you were to use a aftermarket radio it would be easy because you have to run a switch wire from the ignition harness and you could put a switch with a diode or a relay and would work easy. if you want to kept factory radio you will have to power more then just the radio. i don't know exactly what would be powered on but there is a small set of wires coming form ignition harness that goes into the back of the fuse box. in that you will find a brown and a orange i think or maybe white all are 12 to 14 gauge. if you run a switch wire form the red wire in the ignition harness to one of those wires it will power the radio on and maybe more like the cluster or power windows and possibly the lights. if you are going to do this i can let you know which wire you need to hook up.

sorry so long i hope this helps
Old 07-19-2005, 08:44 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not real familiar with how the 03+ works, but on mrb04's description above it sounds like you could probably use a diode to keep everything else from powering on.

Another thing to consider....on my truck (2001), I run the deck with the key in accessory position. If I want to leave the doors open, I click the hook shut on the door (the one that grabs the striker), and it makes the PCM or BCM or whatever think that the door is closed. I would imagine that yours is similar. If all you are worried about is shutting the chime off, try that.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Banned

Default Yes please do get the data.

Originally Posted by mrb04
if you are going to do this i can let you know which wire you need to hook up.sorry so long i hope this helps
Yes let us know. This is a priority for me.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with thunder, I do the same thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

whats the point of this?

you could always just open the doors, flip that little latch in the doors over to make the truck think that the doors are closed. then turn the truck to the on position, back off and pull the key. i dont know about your truck but if mine thinks that the doors are never opened after the truck is turned off all of my windows and radio still work until the door is open. just dont forget to open the door latch back up before you try and close the door

Quick Reply: Radio without the key in.