STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Luxury Amp Upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxury Amp Upgrade???

I have a 06 gmc crew with the bose system. I heard that you could up grade to a caddy or denali amp and get better sound. I don't care to go aftermarket just want a little more.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im going to say no on this one. Bose is really paticular on their electronics and everything is really expensive to fix or replace. I have the Bose system in my truck and its going to be fully replaced with an aftermarket unit/speakers/subs.

You said you want a little more but want to keep the factory unit. What do you want more of? Bass? Over all loudness?
For bass you want to look into adding just a small sub with a small amp. Think single 8"-10" sealed sub under the rear seat with 200-250 watt amp. This should help out with the bass fading out when you turn the factory Bose units really high. And should only cost 200-300 bucks.
For overall loudness I think you can add aftermarket mids and highs to the Bose factory amp and it will work but will cause the factory amp to run hotter and ultimatly shorten its life span.

This is why most just upgrade the entire system due to the costs of upgrading just speakers. You'll be easily half way to a fully new system with more room to upgrade vs. still having to deal with the shortfalls of the factory systems. Aftermarket units are now availible to run Ipods, USB drives, Mp3 players, satilite radio (if yours was not equipt from the factory) etc. It just food for thought.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Im going to say no on this one. Bose is really paticular on their electronics and everything is really expensive to fix or replace. I have the Bose system in my truck and its going to be fully replaced with an aftermarket unit/speakers/subs.

You said you want a little more but want to keep the factory unit. What do you want more of? Bass? Over all loudness?
For bass you want to look into adding just a small sub with a small amp. Think single 8"-10" sealed sub under the rear seat with 200-250 watt amp. This should help out with the bass fading out when you turn the factory Bose units really high. And should only cost 200-300 bucks.
For overall loudness I think you can add aftermarket mids and highs to the Bose factory amp and it will work but will cause the factory amp to run hotter and ultimatly shorten its life span.

This is why most just upgrade the entire system due to the costs of upgrading just speakers. You'll be easily half way to a fully new system with more room to upgrade vs. still having to deal with the shortfalls of the factory systems. Aftermarket units are now availible to run Ipods, USB drives, Mp3 players, satilite radio (if yours was not equipt from the factory) etc. It just food for thought.
Yeah, I think I will just add me a sub. I have a couple of amps laying around I can use.

Thanks, Kade
Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it can be done, and if you have a bose equip'd truck them all that needs to be done is re -pinning the wiring connector,replacing the analog amp with the digital one and re programing the exsisting head unit with a tech 2 tool.

For I have done this. And it is a perfect fit for me. totaly worth it in my opinion.

wish chevy would have ponied up on the amp in the first place.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I hate my cats

I have all my speakers replaced with JBLs, and I added a little 140 watt 8 inch Sirius Satellite Radio powered sub (that's the brand, I swear). It sounds great, but it won't blow your ears out. However, if you want to go the factory Bose route, I can hook you up, cause I've got one kickin around.