Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

Head\Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heheehehe also my tuning was done by Nelson, and its locked, so Ill have to give them the specs and have them write a new tune.
IF i have the extra dough, i can order my tune unlocked by them and a copy of HPT...
Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your house isn't a bad idea if you want it done before the 17th GTG,my garage is full with the truck and the trans am project,and I will be hard at it trying to get the truck done by then with work and everything else this time of year!!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

thats true!!!
dunno if i can get it done by the 17th.. i have to order the cam.. i may do that today.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Shadowsniper, why would the lifter preload change if you don't mill the the heads? You're saying the chamber size it self changes the valvetrain geometry? That doesn't make sense to me, because a 5.3/4.8, Ls1, Ls6, Lq4/Lq9 6.0 all have different combustion chambers but all have the same length pushrods out of the factory so why would it change if you would swap heads from one to another? I'm sure the cam position and lifters are the same on all the blocks as well...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
Shadowsniper, why would the lifter preload change if you don't mill the the heads? You're saying the chamber size it self changes the valvetrain geometry? That doesn't make sense to me, because a 5.3/4.8, Ls1, Ls6, Lq4/Lq9 6.0 all have different combustion chambers but all have the same length pushrods out of the factory so why would it change if you would swap heads from one to another? I'm sure the cam position and lifters are the same on all the blocks as well...
How did the ls6 heads get the smaller chamber? Is it from changing the deck height or is it from just cutting the chamber in shallower. I guess i don't know if the deck height is the same as the 317 heads, if it is then good deal. But if it isn't and it does require a smaller pushrod, thats just to much preload in my eyes.

plus the new cam may have a different base circle on it, if it does then a push rod change may be required as well. But the base circle could be verified when he orders it.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

alot of guys do these swaps end up needing that smaller push rod, so its better to get them last. or order both sets and send the ones back that are not right, best bet for time.

It took comp like 4 weeks from ordering my cam to it being ready...and that was their cam, if its custom or not a off the shelf cam, sorry Mike you'll be waiting.

Not trying to bash Nelson, but I would just drop the money on a new tune (unlocked) so you can dial it in. there is alot of tuning/calibrating that needs to happen to get the best results from your mods.

This sounds very old school silveradoss...guys were heading out to mod these trucks far and wide! Very cool. I am down for HP! let me know and I'll send my crappy autozone spring tool to ya...

And this guy Brad (shadowsniper) has his truck running like a raped ape! so he knows how to get alot out of a NA set up...
Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

heads already have Manley springs in them, and ill be putting the heads in for a valve job prior to this work
im not ordering from comp, ill be ordering from texas speed.. maybe they get it to me faster.. maybe not..
if i have to wait.. eh..so be it.. not that big of a deal.
the cost of having someone else tune the truck will go from 150 to about 400, at least around by me, plus the cost of another PCM. If I buy HPT from nelson, they will send me my current tune, unlocked, plus HPT.
I have an autozone about 2 miles from the house, so if i need a spring tool. ill go get one, HOWEVER.. i appreciate the offer!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah i agree withd the case circle mabe being bigger or smaller but i was always under the impression that all the stock GenIII heads had the same deck height, thats why i was asking. Also i was told that the Ls6 heads have a completly different combustion chamber design than all the other heads anyway. Its supposed to be more efficient... I'm not saying you're wrong, i was just curious because the research that i've done showed different then what you posted.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1FREEK
Yeah i agree withd the case circle mabe being bigger or smaller but i was always under the impression that all the stock GenIII heads had the same deck height, thats why i was asking. Also i was told that the Ls6 heads have a completly different combustion chamber design than all the other heads anyway. Its supposed to be more efficient... I'm not saying you're wrong, i was just curious because the research that i've done showed different then what you posted.
I just checked with Zippy, and you are 100% correct. The push rod would remain the same going from the 71cc 317 heads to the 65cc ls6 heads. Good call!

The base circle still remains to be checked, but TSP could tell you that right away. I think stock preload is a bit much but it could work as long as it does not get any more. Always best to check and doesn't take to long.

PTV clearance shouldn't be any kind of a problem with that cam and ls6 heads but it could be checked as well with the old head gasket, clay, a soft valve spring, or what i did. I used a adjustable push rod to burry the plunger in the lifter and then checked it.

My TSP cam came to my door in 5 days, maybe they will have it on the shelf.

Make sure to get a bunch of assembly lube to Mike. I used redline but lube is lube.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

do they have the assembly lube at autozone?

Quick Reply: Head\Cam swap