Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2012 yukon denali awd dod delete, cam, converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

for me, ditching the afm lifters was the priority before this engine got to many miles on it so i could reuse a few parts that i would otherwise replace if i had another 15-20k miles on them.
after the afm lifters are out swapping a cam is "easy" in comparison, deleting VVT down the road just needs new cam, timing set (would be replaced anyway) and cover. And either stick to cams that will work with the springs ive installed now or even swapping springs without pulling the heads isn't to bad.
for tuning i just have autocal from blackbear...at some point I'll outgrow it i'm sure, but he says no problem with everything i have planned.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Launching!

this sucks... lol been to long since i've pulled an engine. got started about 10 this morning. had the engine on the stand by like 6. Its all the little **** that bogged me down - clips holding wiring, hoses, left ac compressor on till i had it lifted up a couple inches. after messing with the exhaust for atleast an hour i just sawsalled it off. Whoever put engine in at dealership put the impact on every bolt he could and what he couldnt was hand tight, was quite amazing

and that turning engine 90* tip is awesome i prob would have another hour trying to angle it out.
Also having a little cam envy with the couple of sierra denali's using the vvt 1.2/2.2 cams almost want to go a little bigger

Last edited by randeez; 10-21-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^my 2013 Avalanche....Its not much more work to remove some of that stuff in your way and you have alot more room to work with, and you dont have to turn the motor 90...just a suggestion, great work so far!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just about to point that out! It’s very easy removing the whole center part of the core support... literally 6 bolts or something! Make pulling/installing the motor so much easier!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Nice! I was real close to pulling it, poor old engine hoist didn't have much more in it.

Rained most of the day today, I just got engine back together.

What cam specs did you decide on?

Last edited by randeez; 10-22-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Rained most of the day yesterday so i just put balancer back on and put nee converter in transmission
Thought it was going to be another day of dodging the rain, so I was just cleaning up shop, mounted the new transmission cooler, anddddddd said f it and threw the engine back in. Went real smooth, got all the bolts back in the bell housing and ran out of daylight

Old 10-25-2017, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by randeez
Nice! I was real close to pulling it, poor old engine hoist didn't have much more in it.

Rained most of the day today, I just got engine back together.

What cam specs did you decide on?

Looking good so far man! I still havent decided on a cam, the pictures I posted I swapped in a 6.0 for my 5.3 and went with a 212/218 TSP cam (non VVT)...Its kind of gutless down low, so I bought an L99 6.2 and now Im planning on pulling the 6.0 for the 6.2, im also gonna throw in a converter this time, again still deciding on all of this and I need to sell my old 5.3 and some other stuff before I order the rest of the parts....anxious to see how you like the VVT with the circle D converter, which converter did you go with?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Launching!

After a dozen or so emails I ended up with a 278mm 3000 stall. Mostly because they explained the larger converter would have better part throttle response. I wasn't looking to go crazy if stock on mine wasn't 1600rpm I probably wouldn't have bothered
Old 10-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Got it all back in on friday, spent most of saturday messing around with the exhaust.
The speed engineering clamps dont work so good, couldnt find anything else local to use for 3-3" (header collector x2 + ypipe has 1-3") and 3.5" after that. I grabbed some new hardware that i could really crank the **** out of and it helped a little but not really, so i ordered lap joint clamps to replace them all with.
Connecting to the denali's 3.5" stock catback was also a bit of a pain. should have just cut the stock ball and socket off and used a 3.5" coupling. but that would have been to easy, so i cut the end off of the 3rd catalytic converter that connects to the cat back, cut and ground off all of the unnecessary layers of different size pipe to connect it.
Also had some rubbing on the driver side header to mounting tab for front diff, beat on it a little bit and make some room but still contacts it in 1st/2nd so i ordered a new motor mount.
Changed the filter in the transmission to go with new converter and cooler while i had no ypipe installed made it pretty easy job. after dropping the pan i measured how much fluid i got out, about 8qts... ended up needing almost 11qts to get back into good on the stick.
Brought it out to test and tune yesterday (sunday) and got a few runs in. best i could get out of it was a 14.01@99mph..... .01 lol couldnt get it to make a 13s pass out of 10+ passes or so. cool downs, manual shifting, foot brake on converter or not, traction control, every thing i could think of. weather conditions were pretty good temps in mid 60s-70, little bit of a crosswind, but track prep was horrible even with the AWD i was spinning launching it off the stall. Kind of disappointed but oh well. Couple of things i need to get done: replace wheels/tires... it's still rolling on stock 20s and nitto crosstek tires, never weighed but i did rotate them they be heavy, if i can shed a few lbs each and get a decent street tire it should help. And i think ive found an dyno i can get this thing on to see how it looks, could prob use a real dyno tune