SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's powdercoated their wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks man! I can't wait until I actually go get them!

I have a question for you guys. He accidentally destroyed the O-rings when he removed the center caps. Do you guys know where I would go to get new ones?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iregret
Thanks man! I can't wait until I actually go get them!

I have a question for you guys. He accidentally destroyed the O-rings when he removed the center caps. Do you guys know where I would go to get new ones?
i got replacement ones directly from centerline for like 20 shipped several years ago so i would say prob 25 now. i was gonna try to rig up some and then told myself them replacement caps are expensive i rather not risk riggin some up and elected to buy actual centerline replacements.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Default Black lug nuts?

Alright guys, what do you think?

These?

24 NEW BLACK ACORN LUG NUTS M14X1.5 14X1.5 DP5308SPBK | eBay

Or these?

24 BLACK CLOSED BULGE ACORN WHEEL/LUG NUTS 3/4" D3148P | eBay

Here's the really weird thing. Both eBay links are from the same seller. Only, one is cheaper than the other.

Is there something I'm missing?

I want black lug nuts. Are these good? Or does anyone have any better recommendations?

Thanks fellas!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Okay first off, here's a pic of the first half of my driveway. That's why my truck is always dirty in the winter. I just gave up. That, and the trees drop leaves and needles on it all the freekin time.

Name:  678bc3eb.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  253.8 KB

On to the bad news. I finally got some replacement o-rings. I also ordered some black lug nuts from Summit. Yesterday was my day off so I was going to do the whole tire and wheel switch-a-roo. All I had to do was get the center caps installed.

I pressed on them pretty hard and of course it was a tight fit. They wouldn't go in so I sprayed some lubricant on the o-ring. Then I kept pressure on the center cap and gently pressed on the exposed (pinched) o-ring. It worked pretty well.

Then all of a sudden the center cap snapped into place and this happened.

Name:  c89ad5d3.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  109.3 KB

Ugh. I didn't hit it with a hammer or anything. I guess when it finally seated the force chipped off the powder.

So I emailed the guy that powder coated the wheels. He told me to drop them off and he would take a look. I guess he could just sand blast a small area and recoat it right?

Next time around I think I'll use some silicone caulk instead of o-rings. What do you guys think?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guys at Centerline told me the o-rings are made specificaly for them to withstand high heat, that and the orings ARE what hold the centercaps in place inside the wheel. They also told me just to use some soapy water on the o-rings to put them on. I had no issues with doing it that way when putting my centercaps on after having them balanced.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Thats some shitty *** powder coat imo, i had a tough time getting my caps on and put some oil on them and did the same as what you are describing on mine with no problems.
To give you an idea how tough the powder coat was on mine, i wrecked the truck by clipping a telephone pole, the wheel lip of my centerline got bent close to 90* and the coating didnt even chip or come off at all, just stayed coated to the wheel..
Even without the chipping happening, you can just tell by the pic its not the greatest quality coating..
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Charlie Murphy!

I don't really know what to say. I never considered the quality of the powder. The website it was ordered from showed this powder on a wheel.

I'm worried about it chipping now.

I guess if it ends up chipping I'll have it powder coated again.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats more like what would happen if it was painted...
Old 11-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id tell the guy you want at least that wheel re-done. We had my dads ford 9" powdercoated and it took a 3lb hammer to "chip" one tiny little spot on the end of the axle tube lol.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Charlie Murphy!

Can you just recoat the entire thing? Would the powder stick to the old powder?

Quick Reply: Who's powdercoated their wheels?