Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very fine scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very fine scratches?

What's a good way/products to use to remove very fine scratches and 'swirl' marks by hand?

the paint on my bike looks great but in direct sunlight I can see small defects and it's bugging me, even if the paint is like 10 years old.

I tried clay bar lubricated with meguires detailer but it still has the scratches. Is there a 'polish' I can use? Maybe an Adams product/s I can buy from our sponsor?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent had a chance to try out my adams stuff yet. have you thought about maybe a 1200 + grit and wetsanding then polishing it up. i did a couple spots on my truck and really does a good job.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used my Adams Swirl and Haze Remover on a black Jetta with fine scratches, and it worked flawlessly, but I used it on a DA...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wizards shine master polish/sealent and a foam buffer pad will do the trick.

Awesome stuff, works great for black vehicles. Your search is over
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I would try some very mild cutting/finishing compound, from 3m perfect it, on a wool pad, on low speed apprx 15-1800 rpms, followed up by using there perfect it synthetic finishing compound, with a foam eggcrate pad.. Ifthat doesn't work the only other alt is to wet sand with 2000 then do the same process over.. I have used there stuff alot, it is a badass product, works excellent..
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

It pretty much has to be done by hand as 1) I have no tools and 2) parts like fenders and tanks are on the bike

besides I AM a machine!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

If it has light surface scratches then a wool pad shouldn't go anywhere near it, and neither should clay bar...

Claying doesn't take scratches out, it removes fallout and actually leaves scratches itself. A polishing pad (foam) with some polish or glaze would solve your problem.

As far as doing it by hand, I don't really know what to use as I mostly use machines
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stroked-DSM
If it has light surface scratches then a wool pad shouldn't go anywhere near it, and neither should clay bar...

Claying doesn't take scratches out, it removes fallout and actually leaves scratches itself. A polishing pad (foam) with some polish or glaze would solve your problem. ...
Claying leaves scratches? Didn't know that.
Big scratches (after wet sand/compound) get replaced by smaller ones ( like the Finesse It, but there are similiar other products. Oh ya, I think Finesse It is described as a fine cut cleaner), then are filled in w/. glaze.

TIM Z, Wizard's, at least what I've used, has an incredible amount of silicones. It puts on a nice shine, but seemed to require more attn. than 3M to maintain it & keep them imperfections filled. But then, on my on vehicle, I'm not very religious on waxing. Sad but true.

They come out w/. new, innovative & better products all the time; gotta love technology.

John, got any pics of this egg crate pad?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3 m perfect it doesn't fill the scratches it takes them out, when used together with the other 2.. I am not sure why Bill or myself shouldn't use a wool pad for light scratches.. If they are used correct they work fine. You just need to know what your doing.. I have used a wool pad plenty and esp on BLACK, have always had excellent results.. Thats the whole concept of cutting the scratches out. You cut, then refine, then smooth, then wax. Like a mirror.. But if they are that fine, you could possibly get away with just the fine cut, the refining synthectic finisher.. Bill you need to get a hold of a small buffer. I use a porter cable, works wonders on small jobs..

This thing is great

Tom
http://www.amazon.com/Edge-2000-Gree.../dp/B000GZ8KUG
Old 06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of Adams, personally. If you're going to work by hand you should try one of the non diminishing abrasive polishes from Meguiars. If you want to stick with OTC products get some Scratch X and/or Swirl X from Wal Mart or an auto parts store. Try Swirl X first and if it doesn't work try Scratch X.

Quick Reply: Very fine scratches?