Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Bumper Cover or Painted Bumper Cap - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS Bumper Cover or Painted Bumper Cap - Pics Inside

I'm trying to make my decision on whether I should get a paintable bumper cap or if I should go ahead and paint and install my SS bumper. I bought it thinking I wanted it, then changed my mind thinking I wanted more of a stock look with a few touches. (i.e. 22's, Escalade door handles, clear corners, stereo, etc.) I've now gone to the point where I am having the roof rack shaved, running boards, rear bumper and D pillars color matched and I just bought a 2/3 lowering kit last week. Needless to say, I now have another full scale project on my hands.
I've gone back and forth on this and thought I decided on the paint to match bumper cap, until I saw this picture, and now I'm having second thoughts.

I'm a bit concerned that if I put the SS bumper on that I'll destroy my paint on it since it's my DD. I also sorta like the look of the mostly chrome front because I feel like it sets of the chrome rims and door handles I have it it. If I do it, it will most likely look something like this. It's close to the same color as mine.

What do you guys think? I'd be keeping the factory chrome grille with my speed grille and billet bowtie in it with either choice. I'd also be installing the speed grills in the SS bumper if I put it on. Need some advice here!

*Sorry if either of these pics are of your ride. Both are great looking, but I wanted examples of both*
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

that ss front end is clean. if it makes u happy do it.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I really like the idea of that cover on a Tahoe. At the same time, the other look will be great as well and a bit more "true" to the truck...if that even matters.

How about some 3M protection film on the front clip to protect the investment? Good luck with the decision. I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of the beast! What drop kit did you select?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, staying true to the truck was my initial thought, but once I saw it installed on that truck, it really made me rethink me decision. This is actually the picture that I think might put me over the edge. It looks pretty sick!

If I do it, I'm going to have them put the ceramiclear on it since I'm having it put on my running boards as well. I've heard that it holds up pretty well.

I picked up a Belltech kit with keys and springs last week on Ebay. Got a good price on it, but I need to buy some new bumpstops or just trim my originals. I might break down and get new shocks since I'm going to be under there anyways. Have any of you guys ever used the Belltech Street and Performance shocks? Good....bad? Other recomendations?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ss fwt
Old 07-25-2008, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Tap
Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That hoe makes everything look just right. I think thats SIN's hoe, or something along those lines. Can't really go wrong either way IMO
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

That Tahoe is ridiculous - I love it!

Those Belltech shocks are outstanding. If you go for 'em, I also recommend shock extenders for the rear. Probably goes without saying that their shortened bumpstops are excellent too.

The Ceramiclear is excellent, but I'm not sure how it does against rock chips and other road debris. It's designed to help prevent marring and light scratching - which also makes it a challenge to polish out those imperfections when they do show up.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, that front end looks good. I would definently go for it.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
That Tahoe is ridiculous - I love it!

Those Belltech shocks are outstanding. If you go for 'em, I also recommend shock extenders for the rear. Probably goes without saying that their shortened bumpstops are excellent too.

The Ceramiclear is excellent, but I'm not sure how it does against rock chips and other road debris. It's designed to help prevent marring and light scratching - which also makes it a challenge to polish out those imperfections when they do show up.
I might end up picking those shocks up then. The kit I bought came with shock extenders, so I'm covered there too.

Where can I pick up the 3M film and how much does it go for?

Quick Reply: SS Bumper Cover or Painted Bumper Cap - Pics Inside