Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed grille install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed grille install

I just picked up a speed grille, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to install it? The instructions don't say anything about cutting anything, but it appears that I may have to in oreder to get it put in. If you've got any pics of how the how the clips and steel straps are installed that would be great.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I just pushed mine in as far as possible then got as many clips on as possible. No cutting needed but makes it look a little cleaner behind it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a piece of cake...at least on a 99-02 (not sure what year your truck is). Remove the grille completely, and follow the instructions and just make sure that the clips are secure. I recommend using a dremel or pair of snips to remove the factory grille fins, it really makes a big difference in the way it looks. Here's some pics of mine with the fins installed and removed.

Kinda tough to see in this pic, but on a sunny day the chrome fins would show right through:

With the fins removed, it looks nice and clean:
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE]It's a piece of cake...at least on a 99-02 (not sure what year your truck is). Remove the grille completely, and follow the instructions and just make sure that the clips are secure. I recommend using a dremel or pair of snips to remove the factory grille fins, it really makes a big difference in the way it looks. Here's some pics of mine with the fins installed and removed.

That does look clean, thanks for the pics. I have an 03 silverado, and I was thinking that it would look better if I did cut it out.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

It will look cleaner if you cut it out, but it looks just fine if you don't. I have mine over the stock grill and I'm happy with it.
Just squeeze the grill in there and put as many clips on it as you can. The only thing I hate about mine is that the clips started to rust really bad, but I've had it on there for 3 years now. You might wanna spray the clips black before you put it on.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice on the clips, i'll spray em before I install it.

Has anyone painted or powdercoated theirs? Or has anyone seen one that has been? I was thinkin about having mine powdercoated black.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

I had it powder coated black and installed it. What do you guys think?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I installed mine yesterday. The instructions kinda sucked, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I installed it without cutting the stock grill out at first, but didn't like the way it looked, so out came the Dremel and snips. Agree with the comment about putting clips anywhere you can. Also, two different sizes of clips are included, so make sure you install the correct sizes in the right position.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i didnt cut my stock grille. what i did though was spray paint the stock grill flat black so it's less noticeable.