SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting my rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
formerly charlyroxs411 (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of paint did you use? and prep work? they look nice btw
Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by charlyroxs411
what kind of paint did you use? and prep work? they look nice btw
The prep work wasnt really as difficult or time consuming as you may think, i just wiped the wheels down with a old T shirt and some Automotive Simple green to remove the nasty road contaminants. After that I just sprayed straight over the chrome wheels with some Rustoleum Flat Black Enamel Spray that i picked up a couple cans of from my local hardware store for 3.99 a can. Took maybe like a couple hours for some really nice coats i think i applied about 3 coats. Just straight flat black sprayed onto the chrome. Its really easy to do and with a sturdy hand you dont even have to mask off your tires just do some really light coasts and your good.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Got some new pics up for you man hopefully these will help you out. If you still need more pics i can take them with a better cam. I really loved how the flat came out on the wheels so i flat blacked my front billet grill too. Here are some shots of it all.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Also as far as like paint chipping I have had no issues on the wheels at all. I did see one minor issue on my grill where a rock or something had nicked it but i just lightly coated it back up with like 2 sprays from the can and that was it. Pretty painless maintenance if you ask me.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
formerly charlyroxs411 (changed 11/19/2012)

wow that looks really good, sweet i might do mine this weekend
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by charlyroxs411
wow that looks really good, sweet i might do mine this weekend
Yeah man its not hard at all, simple easy project just takes a little time but that's it ! Good luck, just remember to take your time.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a pro paint the stockers on both my tundra and TBSS. All they do is scuff the surface with a scotchbrite pad, etching primer and paint. I was watching Spike: Muscle Car segment last sunday and they gave details on painting chrome using a specific primer that was not an etching blend...u can prob find it on the internet @ Spike. When u paint, make sure u put the tires on first or ull chip off the paint mounting them. Whatever u do, put a clearcoat on afterwards (satin, flat...etc) as that will typically protect the paint from chipping. Let them cook in the sun for a while to harden the finish. R/
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here was when i had mine painted flat black

Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Import Moderator

You are going to ruin your HD wheels if you try to paint them like that, if you are going to do it, do it right and have them stripped then either paint them or (IMO) powder coat them. I believe they are polished aluminum and I think you will have a hard time getting paint to adhere to them
Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I have painted aluminum wheels with great results. I prefer to clean them thoroughly with a preassure washer, let them dry for at least a day in the summer heat, then scuff them and shoot them with BULLDOG adhesion promoter. If I want black wheels, then I usually used a good quality can of trim black from an automotive paint supply store.

Last set I painted was 3 years ago, the truck has been driven off road, wheels kicked and beat, washed with a preasure washer, still look at good as the day they were painted.

Quick Reply: painting my rims?