Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hood?!?!?! Question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Hood?!?!?! Question???

I just got my new Goodmark Cowl Induction hood on the other day.... Its not painted yet... I have a question about the "fabric stuff" thats on the underside of the stock hood..... Does that material need to be put on the new hood... Does that material protect the hood from heat or what.......
Old 12-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Banned

Does anyone have a part number or a name for that stuff?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its like a heat deal-and i do believe you keep it but im not sure never actually had an aftermarket hood but i think you keep it and put on the new one. Could be wrong so dont take my word on that.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAMMIN03
Does anyone have a part number or a name for that stuff?
Im sure you can get it at local dealership or they can assist you in tracking it down.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

The fiberglass type stuff is to snuff out underhood fires. That's why they use those thin plastic fasteners. You do NOT need to put it on the new hood. I've had both steel and fiberglass( which I have currently) and never replaced the "fabric". No damage has ever occured to either hood; even in extreme summer-time traffic.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:48 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read an article in the January issue of Sport Truck magazine where they intalled a Goodmark cowl hood on a Sierra and they transferred the heat shield (that's what they called it) over onto the Goodmark hood. There was a picture of the guy doing it and the comment read "Now all the hardware and heatshield must be transferred to the cowl-induction hood". If it's your daily driver, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't put it on. If you're a racer and you want to shave off a few pounds, that's a different story. I know that when the day comes that I get my Goodmark cowl induction hood (hopefully next year some time...donations welcome! ), I'm gonna put mine on.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Ive had four different cars with steel or fiberglass hoods and never transfered it over.

Think about this: They made cars for about 80 years befor they started putting that blanket thing on.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
Ive had four different cars with steel or fiberglass hoods and never transfered it over.

Think about this: They made cars for about 80 years befor they started putting that blanket thing on.
Yea, but they also made cars for about 80 years without breakaway steering columns...head on collision and you got impaled by the solid steering column. They made cars for about 50 years without safety-glass style windshields, once again, good accident, and you're swiss cheese (if you lived through the steering column in your chest). How many years did we use points in our distributors? I remember when my step-father's 67 Nova backfired and we noticed the paint on the hood bubbling from the fire in the carburetor...(not sure why the air cleaner wasn't on there, would've helped to snuff the fire). He probably would have liked to have that stuff on his hood that day, would have been cheaper than having the hood repainted.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Banned

Thanks, well I guess ill be putting it back on, but it wont be until after its painted which is scheduled for dec 27th
Old 02-25-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAMMIN03'
Thanks, well I guess ill be putting it back on, but it wont be until after its painted which is scheduled for dec 27th
Does the cowl induction help the engine run cooler?

Anybody?

Quick Reply: New Hood?!?!?! Question???