SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEDs for DTRLs & Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... I got the LED's in and working! I had to really push them in hard, I am surprised they didn't break. I actually broke a small piece of platic off from the side of the socket housing, but it still fits snug in there. It looks nice, they are very bright and noticable from a distance! Overall, a pretty neat mod that I not too many people have.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I have found a really great Website that has the best led bulbs, Called Bayonet Stlye bulbs it has the standard leds that point straight out causing a white dot and doesnt light up the base very well, But the bayonet has a ring of leds mounted 90 degrees and shine go all around the base to light up the entire housing. Go take a look.

http://www.ledtronics.com
Then go to Products, Automotive Base and you can see What I mean, Hard to explain without a picture.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

For 50 bucks a piece they better be the best! Nice technology though
Old 02-22-2004, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

yes good technology but they don't have 3157 white which is what everybody is looking for. Only red and orange. And a tech comment bayonet is the old (round) style socket bulb our is the wedge style (flat)
Old 02-23-2004, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
If you get the blinkers you will need the resistor kit to make it work.
Could you clarify what you mean by this? Is there a seperate blinker specific bulb or if you use the bulbs for a blinker you must add a resistor???? If they are both 3157's why would the blinkers not work by just plugging them in? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:44 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by blownZ71
Could you clarify what you mean by this? Is there a seperate blinker specific bulb or if you use the bulbs for a blinker you must add a resistor???? If they are both 3157's why would the blinkers not work by just plugging them in? Thanks!
For the side blinkers they are the small wedge bulb like a 193 or something like that. LEDs dont pull pull quite the current that the incandecent bulbs do and don't have enough resistance for the blinker to work. The website sells a resistor kit for $4.95 ea that you would have to use in line on the 12v wire to make them work. I would just leave the regular amber bulbs in there though. They are brighter

Now I never thought about changing the middle parking lamp/blinker 3157s with the amber LEDs. You said you stuck the white LEDs in that socket? Did it look bright enough?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

It looked very bright. Not too bright from a far angle or from up high or low, but if you were near center, it was almost blinding to look at. Might not be a bad idea, but I'm not going to be the one testing it out. Being a broke student is what I am great at
Old 03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

I had some LED's that I bought the tailights of my C5 that I decided not to put on (for one, I was a dumbass and only bought two when the C5 has 4 tail lights). Anyway, I put them on the truck and they look pretty cool. They're Pilot LED replacement bulbs for 3157 or whatever the right number is. They plugged right in, takes about 1 minute each side. I paid about $8 for the red LED bulbs at :

www.ultimateautoaccessories.com I think is the website. Anyway, I want the white ones now for the DRL's, but the damn things cost like $24 (if I remember correctly). Why do the white LED's cost so much more than the red?!?!?
Old 03-02-2004, 11:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Pretty much all colors cost more than red. Maybe because they get the red bulbs at a discount because they were the standard for so long?

I am currently having trouble with mine now. They worked great for a couple weeks but now they went out. I am not sure if it has anything to do with my rigged setup but I will find out. Until then maybe wait to place an order. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

F8LPONY... funny you mention that, mine started going out today. On one bulb 3 of the LED's are out. On the other bulb, it will flicker half the time. Most of the time only half of the bulb works when it isnt flashing. I am e-mailing them with this problem and a link to this thread. I tried flipping the bulbs around in the socket and switching the right to left. Nothing worked, and the problems still remained the same. Keep me updated as I will do the same!

Quick Reply: LEDs for DTRLs & Blinkers