Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailed my dad's truck - Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed my dad's truck - Pics.

Decided to clean up my dad's 06 Silverado for him yesterday. It an extended cab 4.8/3.23s/Auto, stock except for a Flowmaster muffler. I didn't do any defect removal, just a wash and wax. Process was as follows:

-Cleaned tires/fender wells with Eagle One bucket free car wash and a Mothers wheel & tire brush.
-Fender wells and tires dressed with Armor All tire foam.
-Washed the truck with Megs Gold Class shampoo. Normally I prefer a rinseles wash but I need to use this stuff up.
-Initial drying pass with a Mothers foam core towel.
-Final drying pass with a Sonus Ultimate Drying towel.
-Clayed the whole truck with a Clay Magic clay bar - Eagle One Wipe and Shine as lube.
-Waxed with Megs NXT paste wax.
-Wipe down with Duragloss Aquawax.

Thats pretty much the process so on to the pictures.

Before:

After:

Fender well before:

After:

The whole Truck looked like this when I started:

Notice the orange spots? I believe its rust....how it ended up stuck to his paint I don't know. The whole truck was covered in it but it came right off when I clayed.

Finished:

Notice the reflections:

I waxed the taillights too, makes them look cool:

Obligatory shot of my truck with Optimum Poli-Seal and Duragloss Aquawax:

I used NXT because I had it. It's good stuff, though. On my truck it went 3.5 months without any quick detailers or booster wax and was still looking great and beading water well. I only removed it to try another LSP. In the next couple of weeks I will probably go back and apply another coat to my dad's truck. With two applications I expect it to last 4 months easy on his truck that is outside 24/7.

I've become lazy at the ripe old age of 25. I don't like spending a lot of time on tires so I use a tire foam usually. Armor All tire foam has surprised me, it's actually nice stuff that lasts a couple of weeks and it's so much easier than applying a gel dressing with a foam applicator. Looks good on the engine cover, too.

Anywho, It's hard to make white look good but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jeez, looks good for a wash and wax!!! You oughta at least get a pat on the back for that one!!! I had the same little orange dots on my truck before I clayed it. I doubt it is rust, but I have no clue as what it could be. Wow, his fenderwells got painted alot better than mine did!lol
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Lookin' good. Those spots very well could be rust. A friend of mine had a Suburban with the same problem. It turned out to be rail dust in the paint from being on a train for shipping. The hole truck had to be repainted ultimately.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure what that orange crap was, looked like rust to me. It wasn't in the paint, it was sitting on top. He works in a polymer plant near some railroad tracks so it probably blew onto the truck while he was at work one day. Not a big deal though, it came right off with a little claying and the paint is smooth as glass now.

Anyway, I did it because my parents let me use their garage and my dad's tools all the time to work on my truck. Figured it was the least I could do.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Looks great...and glad it wasn't in the paint. Good job hookin' up Dad, I can't wait until my son is old enough to start hookin' up his Dad!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Very nice job! What did you use on the front wheel wells? Just scrub?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 04silveradoscott
Very nice job! What did you use on the front wheel wells? Just scrub?
Thanks! I sprayed them down with the hose then sprayed them with Eagle One bucket free car wash. I let it sit for a second then scrubbed with a Mothers wheel and tire brush and rinsed them out. After they dried I dressed them with Armor All tire foam.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

After all that armor all I bet the driveway looks shinny too.... The truck looks much much better. Nothing like a good bath.