SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can wax it but becareful.....like Preston said they are chrome painted plastic. If you use an abrasive wax (most cleaner waxes) and wax too much you can rub the chrome paint right off. (it won't happen over night) You can also use a clay bar to do your major cleaning followed with a light wax or sealant. That will keep it clean for a while and make it easier to clean later.

Exhaust tips are tough. Road grime literally bakes on and can be very difficult to get clean if they have been abused. I would be up for anything that wouldn't scratch the polished finish. You can try a clay bar but it may not get everything off. It will definatly take some elbow grease to get them gleaming again.

Also when I mention clay bars I am refering to the actual clay bars with spray lubricant NOT the liquid clay crap they are trying to market as an equal.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the tip is polished stainless. The grill isn't too bad just bugy. The rear bumper will be a challenge. It's been blues from meth fireballs outthe tail pipe. Not to mention some black from rich mixtures. But I really got to get her waxed being that I live in Florida now.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
The grill isn't too bad just bugy.
ahahahahahahrhrhrhahahaha Just wait until love bug season!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I remember that time of year. That's when my yellow car get attacked by love bugs. They seem to like yellow alot.

Ok so I called torquewrench and the wheels are chrome plated aluminum with out clear. They said mothers will work good so I went to get the mothers polish and found actual mothers chrome polish. So I got it instead. I'll take pics for sure. I have ceramic brakes but some reason the rims are still getting pretty bad.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM
The House is Rockin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for exhaust tips i use meguiars all metal bike polish, that stuff makes chrome look like diamonds! it also does a super good job on billet aluminum.

this is the stuff right here ----> http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...T1=MEG+MC20406

ohh and the smell...CHERRY!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a tip for you guys to save alot of elbow grease but this is only for TRUE CHROME. For TRUE CHROME bumpers use aluminum foil and warm soapy water to get rid of water spots. Just fold it like a rag and soap the bumper really good then slowly and easily work the foil over it. Then dry and polish with good chrome polish. For wheels that have brake dust caked on you can use a VERY VERY FINE steel wool with a 50/50 warm soapy water mix. Just slowly and easily work the bad areas until the whole wheel is done. Make sure its real chrome though and not clear coated. I used to do this to the bumpers on my 83 Silverado and it made them shine like no other.