SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Candied my stock taillights today (02 Silverado Z71)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I see my next warm weather project
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn prob one o the best rattle can jobs I have seen.. But I won't pick at it till I see it in person jfwi, looks damn nice
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Damn prob one o the best rattle can jobs I have seen.. But I won't pick at it till I see it in person jfwi, looks damn nice
LOL...Thanks, but since my truck is so damn slow, it'll be awfully hard for you to see them from in front of me...

Testor's site says this paint takes 48 hours to fully dry, so I'll probably spend my day off tomorrow wetsanding and hand polishing them. No dirt or runs at all, but 2 light fingerprints (on each) from putting them on before I should have...

I think the best part of the whole project is that the taillights still appear to be just as bright as they were before. That's something I haven't seen happen when people use that VHT Niteshade stuff.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cttandy
I think I see my next warm weather project
Best advice I have is to buy 2 cans of each (so you don't get caught short), and don't rush it. Ideally, it's a weekend long project unless you have a way to speed dry them. Good Luck.

I wish I knew if I could use some Krylon Clear over the existing Testor's clear, but have yet to find anything to tell me for sure.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Best advice I have is to buy 2 cans of each (so you don't get caught short), and don't rush it. Ideally, it's a weekend long project unless you have a way to speed dry them. Good Luck.

I wish I knew if I could use some Krylon Clear over the existing Testor's clear, but have yet to find anything to tell me for sure.
I am pretty certain I have some extra taillights for my trucks put up. I can give it a try and see what happens.

My Dad bought a cheap van for my Mom that was missing ground effects. He didn't want to have them painted so I got an assortment of sandpaper, krylon that was similar in color, then got some color matched paint in a spray can. I took my time getting them all smooth, then painted them slowly and carefully. After getting a god amount of paint on them, I wet sanded, then put the color matched paint on. When I finished, the pieces were smoother then the rest of the van. Nobody could believe I did it in the middle of the backyard with a spray can. Several years pass, and I see the van sitting on a carlot. I stopped, and sure enough, it still had my spray painted parts on it. The owner of the lot came out and didn't believe that I had spray painted them, until I showed him a hidden patch I did when they got damaged.

That said, I can lay paint very smooth out of a spray can if I take my time and don't hurry. That is 2 things I struggle with however.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rel3rd
LOL...Thanks, but since my truck is so damn slow, it'll be awfully hard for you to see them from in front of me...
hahaha i know the feeling!
man that looks nice i been trying to think of something to do with my lights bc LED is way too expensive and i wont something different rather than 04 tail lights..looks like i got it...always wondered if you could do something like this..i guess so!
looks awesome man..
Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Exclamation

Thanks a lot!

and as an FYI for anyone who may be considering this...

Do NOT try to use Krylon Clear Coat in place of, or on top of, the Testor's Clear Coat enamel!!!

I was considering wetsanding them one more time and re-clearing them with some Krylon Clear Coat enamel so I took a test piece of plexiglass that I found at work and prepped it just like as if it was a taillight. I put a coat of Testor's clear coat on it and let it dry for a few hours, then applied a nice coat of Krylon. Not only did it "fisheye" really bad, but it also was "cloudy". The area that was cleared actually looked like that glass that would be in a bathroom window that you can't actually see through, LOL...Stick with the Testor's paint and clear that I listed in the original post and you'll be fine...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, just wanted to let you know that my lenses got sold and I'll be shipping them out today...I remember that you said that you felt bad about not buying them and candying yours instead lol. Glad that yours turned out as good as they did, they really look sweet!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Billy and Congrats!

Quick Reply: Candied my stock taillights today (02 Silverado Z71)