Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

4.8 RCSB vs Cobalt SS ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.8 RCSB vs Cobalt SS ??

I just wanted to get some opinions before i decide to call someone out and make myself look stupid haha. I got a 2012 4.8L(believe its 305 base HP at the crank) Silverado RCSB 4x4. Its also the WT model, so no power windows and it has manual locks. I am still waiting on my american racing headers and catless y-pipe to arrive, then i plan on getting a Diablew Tune. How do you think i would stand up to a 06-08 (cant remember) Cobalt SS (Supercharged Type) after i install my headers and get the LEW tune? Will i embarrass myself? i Believe the SS is a 5 speed manual with 205 BASE HP. I got a couple of ricer guys at work that make fun of my truck and they think that it ain't **** haha. I know that those SS's are slow for being a supercharged car, but are they slow enough for me to keep up?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it bud, but if your coworkers know how to drive you will lose. If I were you, I'd start with a higher stall converter (3k+), gears (4.10-4.56), and a really good tune. Preferably a dyno/street tune. At that point you may stand a good chance should you have headers already installed. When my 03 was up and running back in NC, I wound up beating an SRT-4 from the hole as well as at 55mph. Granted, my 03 was a nasty factory freak. IMHO a 4.8 powered truck shouldn't walk away from a scsb hemi ram the way mine would. Does the Cobalt have any mods minus say a "Fart can"?
Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna be on the tough side. I would suggest a stall and tune as the easiest way to reel him in closer. The cobalt SS was actually a fun factory vehicle. Nothing special, but decent for a factory sport compact. 13.9-14.5 could be done by a good driver in the 1/4. They don't respond in a major way to mods, but can get quicker. You are I would guess around 16.0 stock. A tune stall and LTs could land you around 14.5. I would suggest a black bear auto cal tune over a diablew tune. Unless you plan to have a custom setup from the likes of 06monteSS.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by usmc3521
I hate to say it bud, but if your coworkers know how to drive you will lose. If I were you, I'd start with a higher stall converter (3k+), gears (4.10-4.56), and a really good tune. Preferably a dyno/street tune. At that point you may stand a good chance should you have headers already installed. When my 03 was up and running back in NC, I wound up beating an SRT-4 from the hole as well as at 55mph. Granted, my 03 was a nasty factory freak. IMHO a 4.8 powered truck shouldn't walk away from a scsb hemi ram the way mine would. Does the Cobalt have any mods minus say a "Fart can"?
Not exactly sure about the mods, but i highly doubt its got anything other than stock parts. I would like to do gears as my next mod but i heard its alot of work on a 4x4. I would need some help doing that.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gamble686
Gonna be on the tough side. I would suggest a stall and tune as the easiest way to reel him in closer. The cobalt SS was actually a fun factory vehicle. Nothing special, but decent for a factory sport compact. 13.9-14.5 could be done by a good driver in the 1/4. They don't respond in a major way to mods, but can get quicker. You are I would guess around 16.0 stock. A tune stall and LTs could land you around 14.5. I would suggest a black bear auto cal tune over a diablew tune. Unless you plan to have a custom setup from the likes of 06monteSS.
16's stock? Thats disappointing haha. I want to believe mines a little faster. I don't think this guy is all that great at stick, so i think i might have a slight chance after the headers and custom diablo tune.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
16's stock? Thats disappointing haha. I want to believe mines a little faster. I don't think this guy is all that great at stick, so i think i might have a slight chance after the headers and custom diablo tune.
I would really listen to Gamble on the tune. There's a reason why not many on here have "Diablo tuned" in their sig. Someone like Justin, Charlie, or Allen are more than capable of beating a Diablo tune for nearly the same price. That being said, it's your truck. Something else to think about, 4.8's love to rev. You may want to open the intake up a bit to complement the headers.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would really listen to Gamble on the tune. There's a reason why not many on here have "Diablo tuned" in their sig. Someone like Justin, Charlie, or Allen are more than capable of beating a Diablo tune for nearly the same price. That being said, it's your truck. Something else to think about, 4.8's love to rev. You may want to open the intake up a bit to complement the headers.
Even the custom tune from 06MonteSS? I don't really want to drive 3 hours and spend $450-500 for a dyno tune on a almost stock truck with just headers. Seems like a waste to me. I just want the hand held tuner with the custom tune to hold me over until i do some real mods like a cam and stall. Then i can turn around and sell the hand held tuner and get a real dyno tune.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

run him from a dig. he will take you from a roll.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
Even the custom tune from 06MonteSS? I don't really want to drive 3 hours and spend $450-500 for a dyno tune on a almost stock truck with just headers. Seems like a waste to me. I just want the hand held tuner with the custom tune to hold me over until i do some real mods like a cam and stall. Then i can turn around and sell the hand held tuner and get a real dyno tune.
Damn dude, I thought you meant one of those cookie cutter tunes from Diablo. If your friend can adjust your timing, fuel trim, a/f ratio..etc and read it on the fly then I'd say go for it. The headers alone (supposing they're long-tubes) should net you around 15+ hp/tq throughout the power band. Throw a tune to that and it makes quite the difference. Straight up though, a higher stall converter +cooler is going to give you the most noticeable gains. Not in power, but definitely in acceleration.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn dude, I thought you meant one of those cookie cutter tunes from Diablo. If your friend can adjust your timing, fuel trim, a/f ratio..etc and read it on the fly then I'd say go for it. The headers alone (supposing they're long-tubes) should net you around 15+ hp/tq throughout the power band. Throw a tune to that and it makes quite the difference. Straight up though, a higher stall converter +cooler is going to give you the most noticeable gains. Not in power, but definitely in acceleration.
Nahh, its not through a friend. I was probably going to go through 06MonteSS (heard great stuff about his tunes). From what i understand you pretty much just drive your truck around and data log it with the tuner, then you send that data to him and have him do a custom tune according to your mods. Should be fine until I cam it and get a stall. Plus i can get some money back out of the handheld tuner if i sell it. A stall converter is out of question right now as i want to wait to do that whenever i get a cam, which is not happening soon. I do already have a external trans cooler too. It came with the trailering package. I'am really considering going from 3.73 gears to 4.11's. I am calling around tomorrow to get some quotes, and If the price is right, then we'll see. I think with the longtube headers, catless y, airaide MIT and k&n filter, custom tune and 4.11 gears i should beat the cobalt!

Quick Reply: 4.8 RCSB vs Cobalt SS ??