PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Turbo Time...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do u have that link where you mounted your overflow tank or take some pics of it
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by droppedchev
do u have that link where you mounted your overflow tank or take some pics of it
I got pics, Ill post em later tonight.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright im trying to get closer to getting this turbo on its way
Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres some pics of the radiator overflow mounted over on side. Haven't tried to put the inner fender well, the low coolant sensor may have to be unplugged.

Heres the downpipe with the 4" to 3" reducer...

Cold pipes on the passenger side. Didnt get any pics of the other side...

Here it is with the intake mani back on and everything all wired back up.

Heres a pic of how the A/C setup was hitting with the header wrap, it still hit without the wrap on it too.

I forgot the camera on Sunday so I didnt get any pics of everything installed
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you made a lot of progress!

Lookin good!

Everything goin pretty smooth other than the AC ?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Wow, you made a lot of progress!

Lookin good!

Everything goin pretty smooth other than the AC ?
Yeahhhh, things like the A/C were unexpected as well as the radiator overflow tank. I mean I've read through a bunch of different guys' builds and everyones is different. So it just little things that slow you down. I had to cut up a bunch of different radiator hoses to work with, and I dont know how many trips to the local hardware store! I wish I set up an account there before I started the build!!! Seems like I misplaced a lot of bolts seeing the truck has been apart for so long.

The down pipe was intended for a different turbo so we had to re-weld an adapter onto the down pipe which isnt that difficult, but just takes time. The down pipe hit the frame quite a big so we had to heat it up with a rose bud and hit it with a rubber mallet. The truck has gone up and down on the lift more times that I can count.

Another little thing was the oil pressure sensor on behind the intake. The harness was different than the one on my 5.3. Luckily I still have my 4.8 and the sensor, and I have one off my 6.0. But taking off the intake to find that out, take it out, go to my buddies shop where my motors are, then back to the shop, theres 45 min easy lost on one little stupid sensor.

Just recently was the little o-ring for my clutch master cylinder. Didnt have one but got some coming. One little stupid rubber o-ring is preventing me from driving my truck!!!! But they say good things come to those who wait...or so they say

So on the agenda next time is to put the bed back onto the truck, install the front grille/lights, install all the boost lines for the wastegate and BOV. Install the gauges, repair the 2 holes in the floor from the old trans, install seats and new center console and bend the shifter to where it needs to be. I defiantly think/hope next time Ill be driving it down the road.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand your pain, gets frustrating sometimes.

But im guessing a truck already together wouldnt have as much install prob as yours ? ( due to you changing the engine and trans) ??

Keep goin man, i wanna hear that thing run!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I understand your pain, gets frustrating sometimes.

But im guessing a truck already together wouldnt have as much install prob as yours ? ( due to you changing the engine and trans) ??

Keep goin man, i wanna hear that thing run!
Yeah a truck that you drove into the shop without any problems prolly would be night and day difference over mine, but whats the fun in that?

I would not give myself just a weekend to install the kit if it was your 1st experience with turbo kits. Lots of little things I was unsure of but Kyle cleared them up for me. Gotta love good customer support Gotta give another shout out to Chris, thunder550! I bought his turbo, fuel pump, and oil lines and hes answered numerous PMs of mine without a complaint. Seriously, without these guys I wouldnt be even close to where I am now. Thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

ay pete what are you running for a fuel pump a single 255 and you have 60 lbs injectors right how much hp that good for

Quick Reply: Turbo Time...