PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

"Surge" tank, disrespectful comments welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeGyver;4567334]No, quoting your post was just easier to answer both you and custm2500. I'm proud to be able to upset you, custm. Just for the tone of your post, I'll probably try 2 or 3 more unproven systems.

Custom this is for you....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMRaUX-QSM
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Stop it and jus run tried and proven setup Mike....I want to hear sotp results not about a re-engineered wheel failing.
I had to read it 4-6 times to decipher what the hell it meant.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sump the back of the tank and run the magnafuel.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why cant you run the racetronix intank 255 made for the f-body? It has a nipple on top that keeps the bucket full just like the stock tank. My tuner runs 10s in his camaro on one alone. Thats what im waiting on at the moment cause im in the same boat you are.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

That looks nice, but 255 lph at 43 psi just won't cut it. Don't compare a 3200 lb , 10 second car to a 5000 lb truck with a decent amount of power. Even if he does have as much power, the added load from the weight of our trucks increases the required volume of fuel.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I gotcha but i dont like running two pumps cause if one goes out you can still go lean. I did go ahead and order the hotwire kit with mine so maybe it will keep up. Im running stock intank with 255 walbro inline and sometimes it holds 58 wot but sometimes it falls to like 48.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you have feeding the smaller tank? Just the stock pump? I've thought about doing this for my setup cause if i stop to fast and my tank is low I starve my pump. I don't know why everyone is calling this a unproven setup. Its been around forever. If you have the problem like i'm having you make a tank like you did maybe a little bigger and have a smaller pump feeding the subtank so when you hit the brakes you don't starve your main big pump. It's either do something like this or try and add baffles to my sumped fuel cell. I think it was a good idea and worth a try.

Last edited by Regency04; 10-31-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
... This tank is kept full by the return flow from the engine. The 3/8" fitting on the right has a standpipe inside the tank, the spot welds hold a strap that secures the top of the pipe. The one on the left is just open to the tank. Fuel returning from the engine enters the left fitting, and the tank fills to the top of the standpipe. It overflows the standpipe when the tank is 7/8 or so full, and then comes out the right fitting and goes to the main tank (stock)
Yeah. If I just had the stock pump feeding this tank, it would be a true surge tank, like they put on the race 'Vettes and Camaros. The left fitting would come from the stock tank and the right would go back. Then I would need an additional line to return fuel from the engine to the surge tank. It would work to supply way more fuel than I would ever need, but the big pump would have to run constantly. If you look up the word "annoying" in the dictionary, one of the examples would be "an inline MagnaFuel pump that runs constantly".
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Regency04
... I think it was a good idea and worth a try.
Thanks.

A simpler description of how it works would be to say that it is simply a bulge in the return line, with a fitting, or drain, in the bottom. That fitting feeds the big pump when boost pressure activates the big pump.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Yeah. If I just had the stock pump feeding this tank, it would be a true surge tank, like they put on the race 'Vettes and Camaros. The left fitting would come from the stock tank and the right would go back. Then I would need an additional line to return fuel from the engine to the surge tank. It would work to supply way more fuel than I would ever need, but the big pump would have to run constantly. If you look up the word "annoying" in the dictionary, one of the examples would be "an inline MagnaFuel pump that runs constantly".
Is an inline 044 queiter than the magnafuel? It might be worth a shot if you feed this surge tank with the stock pump, and run the 044 at all times...if the noise is less on the 044 than the magnafuel.

Why not try to run an intank 044? Or would that require an new bucket design? Trying to nail down a future fuel system myself.

Quick Reply: "Surge" tank, disrespectful comments welcomed