PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Stella

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Semi hidden hitch for the truck. Should be installing this weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by tjmath:
gat0r (02-12-2021), RedXray (02-11-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

That better be pulsed and not "tack tack tack"
Old 02-11-2021, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Lol his welds are better than anything I could ever do so I sure as hell hope it was pulsed as well.

On a side note, I’m gonna have to do some trimming on the frame runners on this thing and add another mounting hole. I didn’t realize that the rear hanger is welded to the bottom of the frame rail. The uhaul receiver that I had on there has gaps between the mount holes for that and we just did a solid runner. No big deal just have to trim those sections out and have it powder coated.

At some point I want to redo the rear suspension anyway, Deavers and the dirt king shackle and hanger kit first and then after some more money saving, a bed cage and bigger shocks.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Looks good, that's been on this list for my RCSB one day. Might steal some ideas from this.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Looks good, that's been on this list for my RCSB one day. Might steal some ideas from this.
With him not having the truck to build it on there are definitely a couple things I’m gonna have to fix.

I’ll post a couple pics of the inspiration tomorrow.

Planned to spend most of Sunday working on it, but my wife made us a tax appointment so still hoping to get to it and at least get the trimming done and test fit it.

Excuse the iPhone markup edit to show my thoughts

The plan is to cut a notch out on the runner on the hitch, will be just behind the welds on the rear most crossmember and straddle the hanger piece welded to the bottom of the frame. Thoughts on grinding or trimming the flap that is not in contact with the frame? Just to allow for a touch more clearance of the welds on the runner. I figure it won’t hurt anything since the hanger is fixed to the frame with 3 studs also and I won’t be taking a ton of material off.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Got everything trimmed and installed last night. It’s tucked up and in behind the plate quite a bit. Test it out tomorrow taking the rzr out and then pull it off and send it to powder. Definitely thinking about having it welded to the frame for some additional strength.
The following 3 users liked this post by tjmath:
arthursc2 (02-22-2021), Bgbldodge (02-20-2021), dantheman1540 (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Looks awesome, nice work.

I'd keep it bolt-on, never know when you need to remove something. Plus if you powder it you'll just have to grind away the pretty to weld it.
tjmath (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I weld everything, bolts are expensive
tjmath (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Looks awesome, nice work.

I'd keep it bolt-on, never know when you need to remove something. Plus if you powder it you'll just have to grind away the pretty to weld it.
Yeah that is true. I was just figuring that welding it would add some additional strength to it. Not sure if I will really need it or not to be honest. Pulled the rzr with it yesterday and it was perfect so I may just leave it bolt on for now.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I weld everything, bolts are expensive
I mean you're not wrong. If I had my own welder I would have just welded it from the get go and never looked back lol.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

So a week ago Sunday I was heading over to a buddies house to do some work on his RZR, driving on the freeway felt a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel. Text my lady and told her I needed to take the truck down and have the tires rotated and rebalanced. On my way home from my buddies that vibration got worse. Big vibration and started making a knocking noise on the freeway. Sounded like it was possibly driveshaft or rear end so I got off the freeway and took surface streets to get home. Still was making noise and a little shaking at 45-50mph. Got home and jacked the rear end up and put it on jack stands to be able to spin the wheels and see if I could locate the cause of the noise. No noise up to about 60. Started looking around the truck to see if I could find anything. Put my hand on the passenger front tire to look in at the cv and tie rod, the tire and wheel moved. Looked down and there was 2 lug nuts holding the wheel on loosely. 3 studs broken completely off and one missing the lug nut. Got a new wheel since the holes on that wheel had been damaged by the studs and some new studs. Got it all apart and the studs pressed in over the weekend. Wishing I would have ordered the Kryptonite lifetime warranty hubs and done both at the same time but getting it fixed in a pinch will have to suffice for the time.

While I had everything apart I was looking over the steering and I really want to upgrade the tie rods. I know Kryptonite also makes outer tie rods, but I was hoping to find a single piece replacement and had no luck. Thought about calling Kryptonite and seeing if they would make a single piece rod out of billet with a rebuildable end like they do for their UTV parts. Any pro's or con's to a single piece tie rod vs the 2 piece rods that are on it?

Quick Reply: Stella