PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   Spoolin's attempt to Spool... (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/spoolins-attempt-spool-472672/)

smokeshow 11-22-2010 03:07 PM

Nothin more flattering to a girl than taking her out in your 'hog. haha

Foxxer 11-22-2010 03:41 PM

Look at those sweet looking manifolds, btw why are you striping the epoxy / ziebart thingy away? Just because its dirty? Clean it up you slacker, nah just kidding, I know how this stuff sticks and catch up dirt like magnet. Good luck on your setup!!!

Spoolin 11-22-2010 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by dlt76028 (Post 4582496)
I like it all, and can see lots of work being done. The only thing I don't get is that black stripe??? Cali thing?

There's two reasons for the stripe actually. First I just wanted to be different and secondly it helps break-up what would otherwise of been a solid and possibly overwhelming flat paint job.
Here's the thing about flat or Satin paint jobs in my opinion. I'll try not to sound too confusing because I'm not sure how to explain it properly anyways. Because there is no gloss in these paint jobs there is usually a lack of shading and therefore no focal point. You look at most nice paint jobs and depending on where your standing in relation to the sun or the lights on the vehicle there is always a point in the car where you focus on first and move from there. The shading of the car will vary as you move away from it until you come to a bodyline or a curve that alters the shading once again.
Take this picture of a ferrari...
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ari_330-P4.jpg

I chose this picture because it exaggerates the focal points. The first thing most people see is that front wheel arch, then I'm assuming people look at the window then down to the door, and finally over to the rear quarter panel or hips of the car. The lighting of the photo shoot and gloss of the paint job work together to show the beautiful lines of that car.

Now look at this paint job...

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...oms-wcc-07.jpg

Ignoring the color and type of car, that paint job hides the lines of the body. You'd be hard pressed to see the body line that runs from the front of the car all the way to the back of the car that is just under the window sill. When most people look at it they are not sure where to start. Maybe you start at the rear "R/T" stripe on the trunk but other than that nothing really stands out or pops out at you first. You kinda just take it in as a whole and start moving along the car to look at the smaller details of it. This hides what are truly beautiful body lines on this car and this is why most people aren't fans of flat paint jobs. And in general most truly flat paint jobs are in fact ugly, there needs to be something in the paint to add shading in my opinion. For that reason I had my painter throw in some metal flakes into my paint job so that light doesn't just get absorbed into the paint and disappear. That black stripe also breaks up what would otherwise be a pretty vast expanse of hood, and gives the eyes a focal point to start at.

If you look again at the second picture of my truck in the first post of this thread, aside from the obvious body lines you can see lots of body lines that are often hidden such as the arches in the fenders, the slight rise on either side of the hood, the ridge in the center of the hood, the fact that the body line just under the window sill continues on the bed, and even a crease that's on the body panel that's between the passenger door and the front wheel well. I personally never knew that one was there until after the paint job.

Originally Posted by skyhighsami (Post 4582514)
I'm curious about the paint. Is it clear with a flattening agent? I'm thinking of doing the stinger on my Camaro and it's tail light panel satin grey. I was told it couldn't be done or done correctly and stand up to washing and waxing. Help me out.

It has no clear of any kind on it. Not a paint job I would recommend or do again either. The paint itself has properties in it that allow it not to fade in the sun and resist chipping but it cannot fully replace the protection that a clear offers. I've heard of a clear coat that turns any paint color flat. I would suggest that if your looking to do that to your Camaro. It would offer the protection that clear offers and the flat look you want. I saw an episode of Gears once where Stacey David used it on the "Knuckle Buster" project I believe.

Originally Posted by cttandy (Post 4582561)
sub'd, just cause I want to see how much stuff he breaks this time, LOL

:jest: You know I will be breaking shit left and right, it's in my nature! :D

Originally Posted by Foxxer (Post 4582589)
Look at those sweet looking manifolds, btw why are you striping the epoxy / ziebart thingy away? Just because its dirty? Clean it up you slacker, nah just kidding, I know how this stuff sticks and catch up dirt like magnet. Good luck on your setup!!!

A good buddy asked me why I was doing it and I honestly have no good reason. I just hate having to look at that frame or touching it when it's just wax caked with dirt. I wish I could do a full frame wash and paint like Vicalma03 did to his truck but I don't have the time, money or access to do something like that.

Bigredmariner 11-22-2010 06:10 PM

Gonna be bad ass Jules, I hope you get it all finished before you hit the water again. That would be too much, sitting in the wheelhouse thinking about the truck.:D

dewmanshu 11-22-2010 06:26 PM

Well, I am not impressed. At least until you mount the 30MM Avenger somewhere on it. (you might want to rethink those cross members in that case)

blklime02 11-22-2010 06:54 PM

Man!! I liked it in green...but wow..it looks way better now..nice paint job..and yea that stripe was a good idea, it makes the rims stand out..or the other way around...

denali_on_26's 11-22-2010 07:02 PM

i will be visiting this thread EVER DAY....

02_Orange_D1SC 11-22-2010 08:11 PM

Bet your getting good at taking your truck apart:D since its like the second time around

DV2000NJ 11-22-2010 08:13 PM

Will DEFINITELY be keeping an eye on this one.

1FastBrick 11-22-2010 08:32 PM

:sigh: Here we ago again.... Oh brother.... :eyes:

I think the site should charge you for waisting Band width. :secret2:

In fact I want a Refund right now for my time!!! :mad:

A little known fact! You lose less brain cells after a 6 pack then reading about what Julien screwed up this week :jest: