PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   Some go fast goodies showed up today (pics)and how I mounted rails (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/some-go-fast-goodies-showed-up-today-pics-how-i-mounted-rails-482137/)

Mangled03gmc 05-05-2011 04:55 PM

Some go fast goodies showed up today (pics)and how I mounted rails

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...75/goodies.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...0075/fpr-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../railstbss.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...0075/screw.jpg

Im stoked. FPR, lines, DR X box for the 90mm.. Already have the rails mounted on the intake also.. Much much easier then I thought.. To use the brackets supplied with the rails, they will not work as they are made for ls1 style tall injectors.. Simple fix. Made a collar up on the lathe, that fit inside the mounting holes, then drilled through the mounts on the intake.. Used stainless pan head screws, I slowly ran them into the holes I drilled on the side of the factory mounts.. Worked like a charm. Now I can run bolts down in the top of the of where they were supposed to go initially to use as set screws so the new ones do not come loose.. Going to start on a cover for the top of the intake, that should hide all the ridges, ports/sensors on the top of it.. :D

brent5631 05-05-2011 06:43 PM

looks nice. a lot better than my hacked factory rails. But function over form for me. And being cheap helps too.

Steve-O-08 05-05-2011 06:53 PM

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing that cover. Everything's gonna look nice :D

07 Z71 05-05-2011 07:05 PM

looks really clean

Mangled03gmc 05-05-2011 08:11 PM

Thanks.. The rails will ultimately be cleaned and buffed, to a natural color. I am not a fan of the red, all the fittings will stay black, with stainless lines.. Gona take it slow, do it right.. :nod:

RibeiroBJJ 05-05-2011 08:21 PM

Looks good! Did you end up buying the fpr from the dude selling the lq9 motor? I may pm you to get a list of parts involved to build one as I have a tbss intake and 92mm tbody sitting here..What fuel rails are those? where did you get them?

moregrip 05-05-2011 10:55 PM

sweet! looks like some high quality shit mang!

Atomic 05-05-2011 11:01 PM

What rails are those?

chevyboy.520 05-05-2011 11:16 PM

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this up.

skolman91 05-05-2011 11:37 PM

I would say get some before and after dyno numbers, but since you cant even get a time slip id say im wasting my breath..:P

TIM Z 05-06-2011 01:35 AM

Oh yeah thats good cake right there ! ( in the words of my friend!)

Looks like professional products rails, they are very nice.

I have that same reg. Really compliments a black engine compartment.

What kind of gains/ where at do you think you will achieve?

Check my bud Pat ( 03sierraslt) tvs 2300 build thread , you can see where he mounted his X link, came out nice.

More pics when its done man!

Mangled03gmc 05-06-2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by skolman91 (Post 4695358)
I would say get some before and after dyno numbers, but since you cant even get a time slip id say im wasting my breath..:P

Whoa whoa, my worst time slip was 12.2 @ 114.. :D traction was a sleeze :DOh that was on 5psi :devil:

bonj87 05-06-2011 08:13 AM

nice.. wish i could get those rails in BLOO, same with the FPR...

skolman91 05-06-2011 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc (Post 4695428)
Whoa whoa, my worst time slip was 12.2 @ 114.. :D traction was a sleeze :DOh that was on 5psi :devil:

5psi sounds like a long time ago, i think you need to dyno first, then back it up with new track times..
all for the sake of me finding out what the tbss intake is worth:lol:

Mangled03gmc 05-06-2011 01:16 PM

It was a long time ago, but have not went back.. Will def be back after the swap and a new tune..

budhayes3 05-06-2011 09:30 PM

Looks good like all of your work always does John, I dig how you mounted the rails. What kind of cover are you planning for it?

02'Z71ONDUBZ' 05-07-2011 02:06 PM

Please elaborate and add a few pics if you have any of how you mounted up the rails. Are you running the 42's? I'm also gonna call you out to be the dyno guinea for this intake on a FI setup lol... somebody needs to disprove those who say its not worth while for boost

Mangled03gmc 05-07-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by budhayes3 (Post 4695832)
Looks good like all of your work always does John, I dig how you mounted the rails. What kind of cover are you planning for it?

Thanks billy. The cover I am thinking of is going to be made out of stainless.. The plan is to space it up high enough so that the sensors in the intake do not hit it, or the X link box.. It is going to be cut about the same contour, lines as the intake around where the 2(top-bottom) are mated together.. and trimmed to sit flush with where the seam is..Then either brush it or polish it.. Might be some work, but should look good if done right..

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ' (Post 4696132)
Please elaborate and add a few pics if you have any of how you mounted up the rails. Are you running the 42's? I'm also gonna call you out to be the dyno guinea for this intake on a FI setup lol... somebody needs to disprove those who say its not worth while for boost

The fuel rails are made to be used with ls1 tall style injectors.. So the provided mounts would not work while using the truck shorty injectors.. However the mounting points are the same distance apart as the stock rail mounts on the TBSS intake.. I took a 1/4 shoulder bolt, cut it, used the smooth part of it.. Chucked it up in the lathe and drilled a hole through that.. Then took, stuck the injectors in the rails, stock them into the intake.. Took the collar that I made, put it in the mounting holes of the fuel rails.. So it is a guide hole to drill through into, is damn near dead center in the sides of the mounting posts that is on the intake.. After that I opened the holes up with a bigger bit, just enough to where the provided bolts that came with the rails would thread into the hole.. Once you run the bolt/screws into the rails, into the side of the mounts, you can use other screws, run them down in top of the mounting posts, onto the screws that are holding the rails in.. So they will act as a set screw so that the fuel rails screws can not back out.. Hope that is clear to ya..

Mangled03gmc 05-07-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by bonj87 (Post 4695490)
nice.. wish i could get those rails in BLOO, same with the FPR...

I think the FPR is avail in blue.. Not sure on the rails..

Originally Posted by skolman91 (Post 4695527)
5psi sounds like a long time ago, i think you need to dyno first, then back it up with new track times..
all for the sake of me finding out what the tbss intake is worth:lol:

The intake is worth a solid 15whp, about the same with tq. It makes more power across the entire board, will prob be more on a FI set up.. :D

TIM Z 05-07-2011 05:27 PM

When i worked at Timken Research center guys would take stainless and use a red scotch brite pad and WD 40 to get a brushed finish. Just sharing in case ya didnt know. Turns out real nice on the display pieces we built.

Mangled03gmc 05-07-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ (Post 4695227)
Looks good! Did you end up buying the fpr from the dude selling the lq9 motor? I may pm you to get a list of parts involved to build one as I have a tbss intake and 92mm tbody sitting here..What fuel rails are those? where did you get them?

Yah picked it up off of him.. Cut me a great deal, I will shoot ya what you need to do it like this.. :nod Thanks

Originally Posted by moregrip (Post 4695316)
sweet! looks like some high quality shit mang!

Thanks man

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 4695320)
What rails are those?

Professional Products.. The deal was unreal.. 65 buks :D

Originally Posted by chevyboy.520 (Post 4695340)
Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this up.

Will def post up...

Mangled03gmc 05-07-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TIM Z (Post 4696184)
When i worked at Timken Research center guys would take stainless and use a red scotch brite pad and WD 40 to get a brushed finish. Just sharing in case ya didnt know. Turns out real nice on the display pieces we built.

Yah there is more then one way to do it.. I have always used 1500 and water, it turns out nice. it looks brushed, but also has a shine to it.. Or you can use a scotch brite pad, it gives it a dull look, but looks good also... I might have to stick with the red rails.. Seems that the anodized is really on these things, would be hours upon hours to get it off, then once it is off they have a red-pinkish tint, because the anodized etches the metal.. I tried to take it off a old electric water pump I had.. SUMNA BITCH

TIM Z 05-07-2011 07:17 PM

I dig the red rails.

The only time red looks bad under the hood is when its wire loom cover :barf::barf:

Mangled03gmc 05-09-2011 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by TIM Z (Post 4696210)
I dig the red rails.

The only time red looks bad under the hood is when its wire loom cover :barf::barf:

Yah I guess. They are kind of growing on me.. Might givem a shot