PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 11:55 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Whatever grandpa owned this thing drove through tar or some ****. The bottom of each fender is covered in it.
Tarminator or Citrol 266 are both very good tar removers. Back in the day I worked at a car wash (largest in the south east) part time when I was in high school. Back then they didn't have any dedicated tar removers. In the detail bays we used varsol, it works, it's cheap but requires a little more work.

Tarminator Tarminator

Citrol 266 Citrol 266
Old 09-14-2022, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,171 Likes on 891 Posts

I will post some pics of it but I do believe that it is tar or something similar. You can really see it good on the bumper.

I am really too short to get in without a handle or the steps but they are coming off don't worry. 5'9" manlet life
@wretched73 I was thinking keep the flares and get them color matched. Makes it look more like a three quarter ton I am not sure, I'll take em off and we will see how I like it.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

lmao 5'9" is average American man size

manlet
Old 09-14-2022, 12:53 PM
100% Redneck

If you have that much tar I'd go with the Tarminator. It's $15 a can but the 3 can option is $26 if you think you'll need more. If you're spending money for paint & labor it would be a great time to color match the handles and mirrors when the flares are being shot.

All you need is a pair of 1970's platform shoes shorty

shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)-ffui9xw.jpg
The following users liked this post:
zz454Chevelle67 (09-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Excellent choice. They were going for crazy money (and still may be) when I bought my Denali HD a little over a year ago. However I was looking at 75k miles an under which absolutely had bearing on price.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

I only like flares if the tires have a bit of poke, otherwise they just hang awkwardly far out IMO

And I'd with Red, I prefer painted handles over the esky chrome mix, but either is better than stock plastic
Old 09-14-2022, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I was kind of leaning towards fully painted but I figured the esky handles might give a bit of pop on the side of the truck. Full painted mirrors though for sure. I know someone at the dealership who will do paint work on the side so I might be able to slide in there.

I may just take them off for now then. LML wheels, or any wheel/tire combo kinda want some polished PYOs, are probably going to be pretty far in the future.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
I will post some pics of it but I do believe that it is tar or something similar. You can really see it good on the bumper.

I am really too short to get in without a handle or the steps but they are coming off don't worry. 5'9" manlet life
@wretched73 I was thinking keep the flares and get them color matched. Makes it look more like a three quarter ton I am not sure, I'll take em off and we will see how I like it.
It's too bad they didn't factory color match certain colors like black. I hate the regular plain texture ones. Who ever does it, hopefully will prime them to smooth them out like the factory painted ones.

Painted outer door handles are nice too! FYI, the Chrome exterior pull handles on the escalades get hot in the Sun... just be aware of that...
My truck had texture plastic with a chrome pull handle as part of the factory chrome package. I replaced with paint matched when I got side swiped. They also did the mirror caps and tail gate handle with bezel for me as well. I took all new OEM parts down while it was being painted. The mirrors were used and I asked them to mask off and do the caps. But I think the pulled the caps off.

On my LLY I have some paint matched handles from a Suburban but the Color is slightly different. I would like to get them paint matched to the truck. I also had the DL3's from the Denali but you could tell the color shade on the caps was different. At least I could... On the tow mirrors I just have regular textured caps. I was thinking I might do color matched caps in the future.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I was thinking possibly doing the whole mirror color matched depending on what the guy wants to do, not sure just yet. The only thing missing on these mirrors is a puddle light. I really like the puddle lights I retrofitted on the Silverado. I was thinking about ordering a set from eBay but they are quite expensive!

Does anyone know the SEM paint for the tan? I would like to hit the glovebox and the top of the dash with a quick spray to fill in some of the chipped paint. Not really a necessity so if yall don't think it will come out very nice I won't. Was just gonna spray part of it.
Changing the oil this weekend as well.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:12 PM
100% Redneck

<--------- 2000th POST

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I hate the regular plain texture ones. Who ever does it, hopefully will prime them to smooth them out like the factory painted ones.
The best way to get a superior bond is to sand the ABS texture flat (smooth) then use a epoxy primer.

I wet sanded mine in the kitchen sink with #400 grit. Be sure to mask off the mirror glass because it's very easy to scratch the mirror's coating even with the fine grit paper. Shot it in a red oxide two part epoxy primer, wet sanded with #800 then shot the base/clear. 10 years of bugs beating on them the finish is holding up well.

SPI Red Oxide Primer

shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)-bxh3dp3.jpg

PPG Deltron Base/SPI Clear before wet sand & polish

shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)-txl9p5z.jpg

l

Last edited by RedXray; 09-14-2022 at 03:22 PM. Reason: 2000th POST WOOT WOOT
The following 2 users liked this post by RedXray:
adriver (09-16-2022), shakenfake (09-14-2022)

Quick Reply: shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)