PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

potato land build, 9's@140+ is the goal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooo.... Was the strip at LVMS a humbling experience or did you hit your number??
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This week was a disappointing week with the truck. First we couldn't get the dam front drive shaft out to dyno it. it was stuck in the transfer case . Then a couple hours b4 hitting the strip we were trying to get more out of the waste gate / boost controller and we hooked it up wrong and hit 26 psi and hurt the motor. Not sure what it is yet . We pulled all the plugs and pulled the valve covers and everything appears to be fine . Its making a loud clicking noise so and wideband is reading full lean so I'm not sure what it is till I pull it apart when I get home. Sorry I'm just as pissed about this as you guys are about wasting your time reading this. I would have never thought a waste gate would be the thing to take this truck out always thought it would have been in the middle of a race.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

That sucks man...did you at least pull the plugs and take a look? Sounds like a piston is gone...turbos are very unforgiving, knowing how to plumb your wastegate is of upmost importantance.

Last edited by Atomic; 10-06-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

What transfercase are you running?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah pulled all of the plugs and they all looked perfect , the burn on them looked perfect and no signs of oil on any of them. We then pulled the valve covers and all of the springs and rocker arms were nice and tight but I didn't want to go any further then that till I get home and have room to put stuff on a shelf and have access to my own tools /garage. It was shitty how it went down . I had a 6# spring in the waste gate and was plumbed from the turbo to the bottom of the waste gate and we did a wot pull and it made 7 psi max so we went back to the shop to put my 12# spring in and we couldn't get the snap ring out didn't have the right tool for it so we decided to route the vacuum lines a lil different to get the boost we wanted so we Y the line off the turbo one going to the manual boost controller and one going to top of waste gate which is where the problem is ,it should have gone to the bottom of gate then we had the the line from the controller going to bottom of gate. So we made the first pull and hit 20 psi and I lifted we stopped and clicked the controller a couple times to get the pressure down more but instead it went up and we hit 26psi on the second run and I heard a pop right as I was lifting and as soon as I let off it back fired and wide and went full lean as in 3 dashes. Crappy time as far as the truck was concerned no dyno number and no track number, complete failure . Just running the stock Ss transfer case its the 247 or 249 can't remember but they should slide right out . Its weird it would slide about 75% of the way out and just stop... so frustrating nothing was cooperating .
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember the discussion in this thread about your wastegate placement might not be ideal. But looks like it did fine with the 6# spring which proves it worked. Sucks to see it get hurt just because the lines were routed wrong. Such a simple mistake that caused a huge headache.

Sounds like your Vegas luck was absent this trip Did you trailer the truck down here?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I trailered it. Yeah I think the placement if fine and I was supprised I was able to gate 7 psi didn't think it would go that low
Old 10-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If your running the stock transfer case then it's a NVG149 and it's a vicious coupler design that doesn't like having the front driveshaft removed for dynos. It will eat up the vicious coupler, just a heads up. It's the same tcase I have. And yes the driveshaft should just slide out.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah there is a way of dynoing it to not mess it up thou.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

That SUCKS!! I feel for you man.

Quick Reply: potato land build, 9's@140+ is the goal