PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
They dead hook from a launch on the street but I haven't tried downshifting into first at like a 35 mph roll. Not sure if they would hold then or not. Really glad I went with 15's though.
Nice, glad to hear thibgs are working out. What are your shift points?. My first gear is worthless out of boost. 2nd gear holds 14psi until 5600 above that it spins, shifting WOT 2->3 boost spikes 2psi then the tires break loose.

I can hold 12psi in 2nd and 3rd just fine.

I am curious what you think about those tires over time. I am considering switching to 15s or buying some better shocks.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I run mine at 35 psi on the street and they'll spin, but not nearly as early as the street tires were. Tire pressure is critical for the drag radials. I drove mine home 35 miles from the track on 15 psi and they were solid as a rock.
Wow 35psi is alot. I only run 26psi in my street tires. If i ran 35psi they would spin like a ****. I would start at 28-30.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have assassin bars too so they help a lot. With those big *** tires and trac bars, the suspension is doing pretty well. Just need to relocate my shocks and buy some double adjustable and I'll really be able to fine tune.

When I brake boost, the rear end raises and makes me look like an idiot.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Resident Retard

So do you get little rocks stuck in those tires?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have enough drive time on them to know. I probably only have 100 miles on them haha. But I didn't notice any while they were on the truck. Truck drives like sex with that much sidewall too I really want to order some bogarts and daily them. Only issue with that is I put so many miles on my truck I don't know how long the radials will last me. Gotta pay to play I guess
Old 10-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Resident Retard

I don't have enough drive time on them to know. I probably only have 100 miles on them haha. But I didn't notice any while they were on the truck. Truck drives like sex with that much sidewall too I really want to order some bogarts and daily them. Only issue with that is I put so many miles on my truck I don't know how long the radials will last me. Gotta pay to play I guess
I am curious to see how many miles you get out of them. I have to buy a set of street tires every 1-1.5 years. The last set lasted a year. I wonder if you could get 1 year out of them DDing them.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Given how you baby your truck, yes, you will get a year out of them. With no track use, they'd probably last 5000 miles. Given for how sticky these tires are, they really have pretty firm rubber, no debris embedding. My M&H DRs had a much softer compound. The other issue with putting these on a DD is rain. I never drive my truck in the rain but I wouldn't want to get in a Texas downpour in them.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Given how you baby your truck, yes, you will get a year out of them. With no track use, they'd probably last 5000 miles. Given for how sticky these tires are, they really have pretty firm rubber, no debris embedding. My M&H DRs had a much softer compound. The other issue with putting these on a DD is rain. I never drive my truck in the rain but I wouldn't want to get in a Texas downpour in them.
Thanks for the info about the tire. Funny thing is you think you know how i drive/treat my truck.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pretty sure blackgmc legitimately daily drives his truck. And these tires are a lot softer than gmctrk is making them sound. They are pretty damn soft to the touch. You can dig a fingernail in them. So 5000 miles isn't much at all. That's what shys me away
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Resident Retard

Pretty sure blackgmc legitimately daily drives his truck. And these tires are a lot softer than gmctrk is making them sound. They are pretty damn soft to the touch. You can dig a fingernail in them. So 5000 miles isn't much at all. That's what shys me away
I drive it everyday. I hate my honda so it sits and rots.

The reason i ask. At one track i went to the pits had some small gravel on them. I still have pebbles in my slicks from that damn track. Just curious if those are kinda stiff. Also i have read horror stories about those in the rain. I a erage about 15k a year. So if they last 5k that is no bueno. Does Nitto make something like a street tire/drag radial meaning something inbetween?

After you drive them a little bit just do me a favor and look at the tread real quick for me. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread