PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Introducing.....Sleep-a-Rado

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, for some reason I had that mixed up because I always thought that since SD tuned the VE table, it would not use the O2s at all.

Also, since I posted this I called my muffler shop and they basically told me without a letter from the state, they couldn't do work that didn't include CATs, so I will just have to get some high performance CATs.

This is the old two belt side mount Whipple. I have always heard that you want some backpressure. Well that is good.

So I would basically go headers --> dual CATs ---> muffler (3" dual in/ 4" single out)?

If so, what is a good brand with a nice clean sounding idle, but really sounds open in mid to full throttle?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, guess we will just do pictures here.

Got the transmission mounted a few days ago and go the headers in tonight. For some reason, I had to cut the side off of the 4L80E case and then had to cut a bolt to make the headers fit on the passenger side.

This is the bolt that I had to cut

And this is where I had to cut the case on the transmission

Before:

After:

I did get the headers on though and they look SWEET!

As far as the transmission, for all of those 4L80E swap people that added to the crossmember..... well it doesn't always work.

Instead of ordering one from dirttrack, I tried to get my machinist to just add an extension to my stock member, and this is what I ended up with...

Needless to say, it was a costly mistake, but I have had a few of those in this project, which is why a budget NEVER works.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also, forgot to put up the pics of the modified Whipple intake elbow. This was modified to change the intake from the left to the right side so I could run to the intercooler.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, finally got some more done tonight. Got the transmission fully installed along with running the braided lines for the cooler.

I installed the cooler and fabbed up a quick aluminum angle bracket. The only concern I have is that the lines are going to be at the bottom of the cooler instead of the top due to the way I had to mount it to have room for the intercooler.

Here are some pics. Anyone think I will have a problem with the lines at the bottom?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Lines are fine at the bottom.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Atomic, you are always such a big help man!

I will probably have to pick your brain for installing the intercooler because I am going to do it like you did and cut the hood support.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Laid Back

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's roughly where my trans cooler was mounted and I had issues keeping my trans fluid cool. Even with a fan mounted on the cooler, my temps rose. There's just not enough airflow down there.

I wound up moving it in between the radiator and condenser. I bolted the top of the cooler to the radiator and used those plastic efan mounting things for the bottom. It cools just fine now.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh man, that's not good to hear. The one thing about the front bumper on mine is it has those little vents that bring air right into that little area, along with air underneath the cooler, I thought that would be enough.

Did your bumper have those little vents right in the middle?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, got some more done on the truck.

Before installing intake:

After Intake install:

Also, cut the hood support to start fitting the intercooler. Have been consulting Atomic on this one.

Wiring is not fun, but somebody's gotta do it!

Lastly, I have uploaded more pics to the gallery in the original link, check it out if you would like.

Last edited by Will; 05-09-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did some more work on the truck. I am getting closer. Added a little time to the project by going through the fuel pump upgrade process.

Driveshaft

Installed. How do you guys keep these brand new parts looking brand new?!

Spark Plug Boots to protect the wires from the pacesetter headers. I think they should include these with all header sales. Guess it would cost too much.

They are really nice too!

GM's infinite wisdom, they changed the tensioner design, which the whipple relied on. Had to improvise on that one....

And most recently, fuel pump upgrade.

Need to figure out how to attach the pump to the bucket. Have a post in the fuel system section, but if someone knows, help me out!

As always, photo album in the original post has been updated.