PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   PROJECTS GALLERY (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/)
-   -   I hope I'm not late for work! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/projects-gallery-189/i-hope-im-not-late-work-518144/)

Atomic 08-27-2015 08:55 AM

If it was screwed up I figured it would be too big, not too small. The real problem is I was too gung-ho with honing it out so it wasn't a tight enough fit. I called IW and they are going to hone a new hub when I measure the shaft of the new pump to make sure it fits.

BlackGMC 08-27-2015 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 5308363)
If it was screwed up I figured it would be too big, not too small. The real problem is I was too gung-ho with honing it out so it wasn't a tight enough fit. I called IW and they are going to hone a new hub when I measure the shaft of the new pump to make sure it fits.

Your supposed to hone it prior to installing?

Atomic 08-27-2015 12:14 PM

You aren't supposed to but if you read back a couple pages I was having a hell of a time pressing the pulley on so I had to hone it some to get it on there. I was doing it by hand with a dremel so clearly I did it too much. Just got back from getting a brand new pump (just in case) using the one with the stuck pulley as the core and I got a new Duracell battery from sams for $110 with a 3 year warranty using the 10 year old battery that came with the truck as a core :lol:

Blown06 08-28-2015 01:04 AM

Just know that the tighter it is (provided you get it on without fucking everything up), the better it works. It should never be like a slip fit.

Jeebalow 08-28-2015 01:20 AM

Did you ever measure the hub before honing it? What was the interference?

Atomic 08-28-2015 07:27 AM

Yea, it measured right at 0.75, as did the hub, so I guess my calipers just plain suck or the hub/shaft wasnt perfectly round.

Jeebalow 08-28-2015 10:33 AM

I was reading the tolerance on some of the cheaper calipers when i was at school and it's up to +or- 0.0015". so you technically can't measure a press fit of about .001" accurately. On my set, the measurement jumps around by about .001". Try using a micrometer to send the dimension to IW if they're turning it based on your dimension.

I have some left over loctitie 640 and primer that goes with it. The sleeve retainer is supposed to add 3 ksi of shear strength. You can use it and send it back to me. They only come in 50ml bottle so I bought it and only used a bit. Let me know.

Atomic 08-28-2015 10:49 AM

I already have the new hub waiting for me at home, just need to get off work now! If I am still having issues I may take you up on that!

Jeebalow 08-28-2015 11:08 AM

Awesome! Hopefully you don't need it so we can get some videos soon. Let me know if you do need it and I'll ship it asap.

1FastBrick 08-28-2015 01:32 PM

Call a few of your local auto parts stores and see if they have Permatex 64000.

It's a Hi temp sleeve retaining compound that some auto parts stores carry.