PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

I can't fabricate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin

I wish I could weld like this
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmelvin
Those are some nice looking welds.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by dmelvin
I can, but you have to learn somewhere right??
Old 02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

That is done with a tig welder though. Cant exactly compare the two different types. You can concentrate the heat better.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a shame pretty welds like that got covered by paint.

You can do welds like that with a MIG too if you have a pulse system. I have been debating on getting one, my TIG is nice, just slow.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by custm2500
The reason they don't sell TB kits is because they are too simple to need a kit. A bought one is a cast tube with a flange on one end with a mount for the IAC molded into the top . There are 4 parts to a TB you buy. Tube with flange, throttle pivot, bearings, and throttle blade. That is it. Please let's not get into this debate in this thread. The TB is an entirely different subject.

A generic 4 link kit will have infinite mounting points on a truck, car, or tube buggy. Therefore they sell kits, because there is a need. Two completely different concepts.
What about the sockets??

My friend, you just don't seem to be willing to even consider advice/feedback. Your welds aren't great -- mine aren't either, and I don't claim any kind of skill as a fabricator -- but you are trying. Point is, you have a lot to learn and a long way to go. Your fab skills seem less advanced overall than your welding skills (and I think Spoolin hit the nail on the head there with the comment about prep -- prep is my downfall as well, so I'm not bashing you here), but again, you are out in the shop making stuff and that's the only way to get better.

I know enough to know:
1) what I know
2) what I don't know
3) what I only think I know

I have the tools and metal and basic abilities to make my own suspension stuff too. What I lack is the expertise, so I would buy I properly engineered kit from someone who HAS that expertise (or talk a buddy into taking a long plane ride ).

The worst part about this thread as that you don't see why its failed. You evidently look as those pictures and see something that will disprove all these people bashing on you. I look at those pictures and see them in a different kind of thread -- one that says 'here's my best attempt' and asks for welding critiques and advise from master fabricators. The dichotomy shows what is, by definition, hubris on your part.

The big thing I see people really saying to you is that your idea of your fabrication skills is getting you in trouble because it is unrealistic (see hubris again). I don't think anyone is knocking that you want to do it yourself, just that you are kind of off there in the field, doing some crazy **** (like including sockets welded to random metal pipe as "mount points" for a TB blade shaft), and then justifying it by your fab skills. You don't seem to be thinking things through -- e.g. I asked you in the other thread how you were planning on mating the TB to the manifold, with no answer. Also, not noting the difference between a 2000lb purpose built drag car with chutes and a 5800lb truck (or the fact that your truck was designed with a front brake bias because the weight is biased towards the front, whereas that drag car is the opposite).

I'm probably I'm completely wasting my breath here. Most likely, you will either ignore this, or come back defensively about how you welded some stuff together and the weld didn't break, so I must not know what I'm talking about. Hopefully, you will read this, digest it, and take what you can from it, because I have absolutely nothing to gain from this either way.

Edit: You'd do very well to read Spoolin's posts on the previous page. He's done an awesome job of teaching you (i.e. giving you the necessary information) how to be a better welder.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 02-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
What about the sockets??

My friend, you just don't seem to be willing to even consider advice/feedback. Your welds aren't great -- mine aren't either, and I don't claim any kind of skill as a fabricator -- but you are trying. Point is, you have a lot to learn and a long way to go. Your fab skills seem less advanced overall than your welding skills (and I think Spoolin hit the nail on the head there with the comment about prep -- prep is my downfall as well, so I'm not bashing you here), but again, you are out in the shop making stuff and that's the only way to get better.

I know enough to know:
1) what I know
2) what I don't know
3) what I only think I know

I have the tools and metal and basic abilities to make my own suspension stuff too. What I lack is the expertise, so I would buy I properly engineered kit from someone who HAS that expertise (or talk a buddy into taking a long plane ride ).

The worst part about this thread as that you don't see why its failed. You evidently look as those pictures and see something that will disprove all these people bashing on you. I look at those pictures and see them in a different kind of thread -- one that says 'here's my best attempt' and asks for welding critiques and advise from master fabricators. The dichotomy shows what is, by definition, hubris on your part.

The big thing I see people really saying to you is that your idea of your fabrication skills is getting you in trouble because it is unrealistic (see hubris again). I don't think anyone is knocking that you want to do it yourself, just that you are kind of off there in the field, doing some crazy **** (like including sockets welded to random metal pipe as "mount points" for a TB blade shaft), and then justifying it by your fab skills. You don't seem to be thinking things through -- e.g. I asked you in the other thread how you were planning on mating the TB to the manifold, with no answer. Also, not noting the difference between a 2000lb purpose built drag car with chutes and a 5800lb truck (or the fact that your truck was designed with a front brake bias because the weight is biased towards the front, whereas that drag car is the opposite).

I'm probably I'm completely wasting my breath here. Most likely, you will either ignore this, or come back defensively about how you welded some stuff together and the weld didn't break, so I must not know what I'm talking about. Hopefully, you will read this, digest it, and take what you can from it, because I have absolutely nothing to gain from this either way.

Edit: You'd do very well to read Spoolin's posts on the previous page. He's done an awesome job of teaching you (i.e. giving you the necessary information) how to be a better welder.
these are words of wisdom, being said everyone new and old to hodrodding world should take this into account, just sayin
Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
The dichotomy shows what is, by definition, hubris on your part.

The big thing I see people really saying to you is that your idea of your fabrication skills is getting you in trouble because it is unrealistic (see hubris again).
I had to go look up the word "hubris"...thanks Erik, I learned a new one
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
This on the other hand, is lacking all three.
There is so little penetration you might as well used a soldering gun for the amount of good those welds are gonna do.

The weld shows heat 1/4" plus into the frame and you can see the heat showing through the ring that is 1/4" thick. I beveled the edges and and did clean the frame a good ways back along with the ring.

If you feel strongly that these aren't good I will consider grinding them and laying another bead. This is something that needs to be extremely strong due to the place in the frame! I will have a buddy who has been welding for years look at them in person and see if he feels they need more heat, and penetration.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it stuck to me man just roll with it, i weld like you do but im HIGHLY trained with a Grinder ......my motto is on welding is "If it looks like bird **** turn the heat up" haha, now u do realize this is coming from someone that very seldom welds, but i usually weld on high heat just to get good penetraion, this is what happend when u do not have a welding table and you weld on tempered glass

Quick Reply: I can't fabricate?