PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

I broke'did my toy... Kenne Bell/370 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Repair went pretty well but I did get a little over zealous with the wheel on one of the ports causing a slight dip that I couldn't get out. It measured .010" with a feeler gauge and straight edge. With the exception of these low spots, the deck overall is flatter now than that it was to start with. I am sure the gasket would have sealed the small dips but I didn't want to take any chances and dropped it off at the cylinder head shop this afternoon to have it decked .010. Should have it back Wednesday (which really surprised me).

Old 09-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Good deal!

Just curious, why not have the spots touched up and then decked to a minimal clean up???
Old 09-28-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I also did a little troubleshooting with the intercooler and think I have figured out why my IAT's have always been so high. With the inlet and outlet in the same end tank it should have a separator in the end tank to divert the coolant thru the ic in a dual pass method. My end tank has no separator. Water flows directly from inlet to outlet without passing thru the core. How difficult would it be to cut a slit in the end tank, slip a piece of al flatbar in there and weld it up on three sides?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Did you ask your Fab guy that did the welding?

It sounds good but, I was thinking you might have to take the end cap off to do that... I have never worked with intercoolers though...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Good deal!

Just curious, why not have the spots touched up and then decked to a minimal clean up???
I figured this was just as easy and I only had to take it one place. The Felpro gaskets are .060 thick and fairly incompressable which will space the manifold a little further out from the heads than the orings. However, now that I think about it, I hope the reduced deck thickeness doesn't compromise the rigidity of the deck and sealing ability.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by BigKID
I figured this was just as easy and I only had to take it one place. The Felpro gaskets are .060 thick and fairly incompressable which will space the manifold a little further out from the heads than the orings. However, now that I think about it, I hope the reduced deck thickeness doesn't compromise the rigidity of the deck and sealing ability.
Id be more concerned with the ports matching up if it pushes everything up...
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Did you ask your Fab guy that did the welding?

It sounds good but, I was thinking you might have to take the end cap off to do that... I have never worked with intercoolers though...
Not yet. I thought I would ask here first as I don't if it would need to be welded to the core as well to function properly. If it is not welded to the core, it may leak past slightly but I presume the majority would flow thur the core.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I has a few boxes of goodies when I got home from work today....
-Gagatized 2.5 bar map
-longer manifold bolts (with some other misc hardware) from McMaster
-1/2" injector spacers from FIC

I also picked up the manifold from the machine shop. He ended up taking 0.015 off to get the low spots mostly out. There is still a very minor dip at the edge of the port that I am pretty sure the gasket will seal up. It's raining and manifold is still in the Tahoe so I will get a pic of it tomorrow.

I did some exploration on the intercooler and started on the phenolic spacer.

Evidently the intercooler is a dual pass with a separator in the tank dividing the ic top to bottom rather than side to side. See the marks in the pic below for how it is divided best I can tell. I don't think the bars are separated though. You turn the ic up on end with inlet/outlet at the bottom, fill one side and water appears nearly instantly on the other side. At this point I am wondering if the flow direction makes a difference on the coolant's heat absorption.

1/2" xx paper phenolic spacer

Old 10-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work on the spacer!!!! Today I tore my TVS2300 apart and can see that the Kenne Bell is better built as far as the heat exchanger goes... Keep up the good work!!!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by D1SCSS
Nice work on the spacer!!!! Today I tore my TVS2300 apart and can see that the Kenne Bell is better built as far as the heat exchanger goes... Keep up the good work!!!
The Kenne bell is much thicker, but the TVS still has lower IATS.

Quick Reply: I broke'did my toy... Kenne Bell/370 rebuild