PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Camping Truck Build, '01 Suburban 2500

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 oil analyses done on the engine now. Everything is looking good!

Name:  OilAnalysis2_zps9f711472.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  164.2 KB
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I added about 130 more pictures to the original posts with more detail and background to the engine assembly. Enjoy
Old 09-07-2013, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ever since I removed the factory muffler and replaced it with a Magnaflow 12599, the truck had a terrible drone. It would start mildly at 1600 RPM, and by 1800 - 2000 RPM it was very bad. This was right at 55-60 cruising speed.

Then I started reading about the Helmholtz resonators to eliminate the drone. Here is a reference link:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-drone-489463/

Here is the explanation of the theory behind the resonator.

Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The theory of Helmholtz resonators is used in motorcycle and car exhausts to alter the sound of the exhaust note and for differences in power delivery by adding chambers to the exhaust. Exhaust resonators also used to reduce potentially loud and obnoxious engine noise where the dimensions are calculated so that the waves reflected by the resonator help cancel out certain frequencies of sound in the exhaust."

Then I saw one of kbracing96's threads about the success that he had with his trucks and the Helmholtz resonators. He lives close to me, and he agreed to do the work for a fair price.

Basically, these resonators rock. They have successfully reduced the 1800-2000 RPM drone by 80-90%. The mild 1600 RPM drone is still there, but it is insignificant compared to what the 1800-2000 RPM drone was before.

I highly recommend this modification, and Kyle's services (kbracing96) if you live around Houston.

Here are the pics.

Passenger side:
Name:  reso2_zpsbe2534d9.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  56.2 KB
Driver side:
Name:  reso1_zps620d0ff7.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  63.9 KB
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truck looks good. Only upgrade I see needed is something besides goodyear tires. Everything else looks top notch! I need to get all the stains out my carpet so my interior could look half as nice as yours.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by custm2500
Truck looks good. Only upgrade I see needed is something besides goodyear tires. Everything else looks top notch! I need to get all the stains out my carpet so my interior could look half as nice as yours.
thanks man!

I've been happy with the tires so far. Very quiet at high speeds, and plenty of traction in sand, mud, rocks, etc. for what we need. what would you recommend instead?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Anything honestly. Goodyear I the worst tire on the market.

I like cooper or mastercraft. Same tire just different name. Hankook RF10 is the best tire ever made for a truck. Mildly aggressive good tread life, and killer traction in mud, snow, and wet.

I will never spend a penny of my money on Michelin or goodyear. Goodyear is absolute junk and Michelins are only good for a year or two then they get hard and dry rotted.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the definition of a write up. Hands down the most thorough engine build that's been documented. Puts my build to shame. I did have all of the measurements just didn't take all the time to take pictures and make spread sheets with the results. Very nice work. That's a pretty cool suburban. Staying tuned for any updates.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
This is the definition of a write up. Hands down the most thorough engine build that's been documented. Puts my build to shame. I did have all of the measurements just didn't take all the time to take pictures and make spread sheets with the results. Very nice work. That's a pretty cool suburban. Staying tuned for any updates.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by custm2500
Anything honestly. Goodyear I the worst tire on the market.

I like cooper or mastercraft. Same tire just different name. Hankook RF10 is the best tire ever made for a truck. Mildly aggressive good tread life, and killer traction in mud, snow, and wet.

I will never spend a penny of my money on Michelin or goodyear. Goodyear is absolute junk and Michelins are only good for a year or two then they get hard and dry rotted.
what is your experience with Goodyear?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of experience with goodyear. They have always been a good tire. Just ignore the negative nancy.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
Thanks man!

what is your experience with Goodyear?
I have done tires professionally for 15 years. Cars, trucks, semi trucks, and off the road equipment. I would put the cheapest tire any shop offers before a goodyear and that is the gods honest truth.

They suck in every aspect. Tread life they usually do ok but that is because they are hard as hell and slide in the rain let alone snow or mud.

I can count with the ink in one pen how many i have seen separate in every line they make.

Quick Reply: Camping Truck Build, '01 Suburban 2500