PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06 Suspension/Drivetrain Project: 4/6 Drop, QA-1's, 5-Lug, Bogarts, Long-bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats perfect
Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

dam didnt look like u needed to take off that much going from the tape picture. but looks great, should be good for a tenth or two..
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 AM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tire is CLOSE to the spring...

Truck looks ****...yeah thats with 2 capital T's
Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
dam didnt look like u needed to take off that much going from the tape picture. but looks great, should be good for a tenth or two..
Regarding the tape...I ground where it was hitting, retaped, installed the wheel, ground where it was hitting, retaped, installed the wheel, ground where it was hitting, retaped, installed the wheel, ground where it was hitting...you get the point. Once the wheel cleared then it hit the balancing weights. I figured I had gone this far, whats another 1/8". I actually thought about taking the weights off and running the tires unbalanced, maybe I should have. We'll see if it holds up. Like I said I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Originally Posted by 2005 Silverado
tire is CLOSE to the spring...

Truck looks ****...yeah thats with 2 capital T's
Its extremely close. As a matter of fact, there was about 3/16" clearance when it was on the jackstands. On the ground, probably about 1/16". I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this yet. I'm really wanting to avoid putting spacers behind the wheel cause it fits so good everywhere else, and I'm already gonna have to roll the outside fender lip a little bit.

I'm going to ask a stupid question now. Does anyone think I could maybe clearance the spring like about an 1/8" right where the tire would hit? I could just hit it in that spot and chamfer and polish it where I grind to prevent any tire damage it case it rubbed just a little.

Other than that the only way to fix the problem is 4-link (I'm really not wanting to start over) or run a smaller tire (this one looks just looks so good). Anybody have any other ideas. My dad mentioned moving the leaf springs in, but I'm thinking that would require just as much fab work as doing a 4-link, so thats out.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 AM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by Blown06
Its extremely close. As a matter of fact, there was about 3/16" clearance when it was on the jackstands. On the ground, probably about 1/16". I haven't decided what I'm going to do about this yet. I'm really wanting to avoid putting spacers behind the wheel cause it fits so good everywhere else, and I'm already gonna have to roll the outside fender lip a little bit.

I'm going to ask a stupid question now. Does anyone think I could maybe clearance the spring like about an 1/8" right where the tire would hit? I could just hit it in that spot and chamfer and polish it where I grind to prevent any tire damage it case it rubbed just a little.

Other than that the only way to fix the problem is 4-link (I'm really not wanting to start over) or run a smaller tire (this one looks just looks so good). Anybody have any other ideas. My dad mentioned moving the leaf springs in, but I'm thinking that would require just as much fab work as doing a 4-link, so thats out.
Spring integrity would be compromised IMO. I agree same amount of work is involved with 4 link or moving the leaf...so it comes down to...either skinnier tire...or link it...
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't run them that close to the springs...ick.. try a wheel with less backspacing?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
11 Second Truck Club

this thing is coming along nicely man.
why such a short tire up front?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I've got myself all worked up over this tire issue. For now 4-link is out of the question, sticking the wheel/tire further out of the fender well is out of the question, moving the leafs is out of the question, so I guess I'm out of options other than getting a different tire. Goodyear makes a 29x10x15 slick that measures almost an inch shorter and 1.2" shorter through the section width. This tire should give me over 1/2" of clearance, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen what this tire looks like on a 10" wheel?

Also giving me a headache, I've had several people look at the pictures of my brake calipers and freak out. There like "are you crazy, is that safe?" So now I'm all worried that my calipers are going to explode as soon as I get out of the driveway. Does anyone on here have experience with grinding calipers? Is it really that big of a deal?

Anyone wanna buy a new set of 29.5x10.5x15 ET Drags.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

I wasnt freaking out when i mentioned it, just by the way the tape was didnt think that much would have to come off. Dodge guys have been grinding calipers for awhile to fit 16s and some crazy enough to run without back brakes. and i have seen alot worse than those and questioned the safety. Theres actualy somebody named hemidup on here that just ran pretty much what you have in his dodge and i know he has ground some down before(i know dodge isnt a chevy apple to oranges) but i wouldnt worry and would run those, but then again im not the one in the truck running 10s
I would be more worried about the sidewall clearance issue if your gonna do more than run this thing in a straight line and load it on and off a trailer..
Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by skolman91
...but then again im not the one in the truck running 10s

Thanks for the moral support.

Quick Reply: Blown06 Suspension/Drivetrain Project: 4/6 Drop, QA-1's, 5-Lug, Bogarts, Long-bars