PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

ak2007r6 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing headlights and grill on NNBS Sierra

Started a little work tonight. Going to clear the headlights, clean the fogs, re run the wires for all my HIDs, install LEDs I bought and remove all the OEM plastic grill behind the billet.

BTW removing the front end is a pita. I miss my old 02 Silverado. Two pins and headlights are out.

Anyways hope this helps someone in the future. Took lots of pics.

Oh actually I started with trying to remove my wideband sensor that came with my AEM kit. I was able to get to it but cant get any leverage on it. Think I'll have to drop the y pipe, or spend a couple bucks and have the exhaust shop who welded the bung in and installed it the first time take it out and put the new NGK one in. Unless someone has a tip? I could get a socket to it with an extension and socket but the wire would be in the way.

So after getting frustrated with that I moved on to removing all the front end stuff

Started by removing the fan and radiator cover. Just some push pins and it comes right out.

Next its time to tackle the inner plastic fender piece. There is a few 8mm bolts and push pins that need to be removed so you can fold the front back and access the bumper cap bolts.

Here there is two 8mm bolts holding the metal bumper cap on. Also 3 10mm bolts holding that black plastic piece on. Remove all 3 you see in this picture.

Then crawl under the truck and find the other two 10mm holding on the plastic piece.

I forgot pics of the next step but if you look behind the grill you will see metal clips that the grill fastens to the bracket behind it. Take some pliers and squeeze them while pulling on the grill and they will be set free. Once all clips are free slowly and securely start to pull the grill and bumper cap off the front of the truck. This can be done with one person, just be extra careful.

Will cover headlights and fog lights in next post.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 AM
TECH Veteran

There is 3 10mm bolts that hold the head light on. Two on top and one on the side.

Remove the lights and slide it to one side to get it free of the clip on the back bottom side that also holds it in

The fog light has 3 plastic things holding the fog light in. I found a good trick is to take a wrench and slide the one end over it so you can push it through. No pics of me doing it while on truck but this is what I am talking about

And this is why I pulled them off. Do these things come apart??? What's a new pair cost??

Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Did not know you had to take the bumper cap off to take those out.. No wonder I snapped one of those tabs haha
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

They make a special socket for o2 sensors that has a slot cut in it for the wires. I'm sure the auto parts store has one......
Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Blown06
They make a special socket for o2 sensors that has a slot cut in it for the wires. I'm sure the auto parts store has one......
I was able to get a wrench from the top and get it out, wish I would have known about that socket though. Will pick that up for when I put the new sensor in. Just have the plug in the bung right now.

Haven't spent as much time as I planned on the truck this time home, hopefully next RnR will be more productive. I will say since my truck has no headlights right now I have been driving the wife's explorer. As much as I hate that vehicle holy hell I have saves a ton in gas these past two weeks LOL
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice detailed write-up on the grille & lamp removal Andy! Detailed and complete with pics.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Veteran

So my last RnR when I was home I attempted to clear my headlights. It seemed to start off ok but in the end I ended up scuffing the chrome on one of them. I sorta fixed it with some chrome spray paint and thought I would be happy....till I went to seal them back up. The gap I had to seal up was a little to much for my comfort and the whole project left me feeling a little uneasy about it all. I may still play around with some paint and try something different and custom down the road but for now I just picked these up. Should look good and they were pretty reasonably priced.

Last edited by ak2007r6; 04-05-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Got the summer tires in today. Now I just need to go drag the Centerline's out from under the storage and get the mounted up.

Trying to justify getting the TPMS. I am more than capable of checking the pressure myself.. just hate the stupid light and it's not something I can tune/turn off...

Also got the new headlights installed. Of course the only pic I have now is when the truck is filthy.

need to get the relay or whatever it is to stop the super fast blinking though since I installed LED's up front.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good!!! Cant wait for you to run it at the track...
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

New fogs aren't that bad I got mine at Lithia of South Anchorage

Quick Reply: ak2007r6 Build Thread