PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

8.0 into a 1/2 ton project

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to take a spin in that beast
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hah that's the one! that would be one intense ride, if it hooks!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Launching!

This should be an interesting project. Keep us up to date on it. By the way, I know you said you had a 4/5 drop, what kind is it and what size wheels/tires are you running?

Good luck with this, it'll be a fun ride. I was thinking when the time is right, I'd swap a SRT-10 motor in mine...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

WTF?

here I was all excited to see a big block getting stuffed into a shortbed silvy and you post MOPAR!!

well at least its not :

should be cool, even if its an imposter.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcatcamaro
This should be an interesting project. Keep us up to date on it. By the way, I know you said you had a 4/5 drop, what kind is it and what size wheels/tires are you running?

Good luck with this, it'll be a fun ride. I was thinking when the time is right, I'd swap a SRT-10 motor in mine...

I am runnin western chassis 2" springs in the front along with 2" bell tech drop spindles and in the rear it's a 5" western chassis shackle kit. The wheels on it now are 18X8.5OZ wheels with 295/45/18 toyo proxies, damn tires can't even hook with the 318 lol The new wheels will be the 2000-01 17" Dodge offroad 5 stars, will probably have the ones in the back widened to 10" so I can run the 390/40/17" drag radials. I want to keep the stance it has now, so I'll have to experiment with springs in the front to get it back up to where it is now after the V10's in it.

Lsx10-Yea I can see a non LS powered truck is rare around here, but someone has to be different You guys seriously have it made with the aftermarket support for the LS motors, they kick some serious butt AND they hold up. I sell used auto parts at a salvage yard and I rarely get calls for a LS motor, but those ford mod motors and the new 4.7 dodges are blowin up left and right.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Would I have any issues with any rubbing or bottoming out if I did this drop with my 285/50R20s? My wheels stick out a little as it is. Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildcatcamaro
Would I have any issues with any rubbing or bottoming out if I did this drop with my 285/50R20s? My wheels stick out a little as it is. Thanks

Mine rub in the front a little from that, but I am hoping with the factory style 17"s they won't because of a better more tucked in offset. I have bottomed out in the back a few times, but it's not as bad as you'd think havin only a inch or so frame to rear axle tube clearance. I don't haul much of course, but if it had helper air bags it would be ok for light duty use.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Got a little more stripped off the beast and marked for hopefully a easy install in the 1/2 ton. I have all the accys, the upper intake off, both exhaust manifolds and a crap load of small odds and ends out of the way. If I can get a few nights this week in on it, should be out next weekend. Gonna have to get the trans out first and figure a way to keep the motor in position. darn things too big to try and take em both out at once. After this is out, then I get to swap the 5.2 into this so I have a work beater again .
Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Launching!

I know you mentioned switching to 17" Dodge "Star" wheels, that same design was used on the viper gts wheels, and they are offered in 13" wide rear, and 9.5-10" front; That'd give you more meat to hook, but you might have to tub the rear inner fenders and get wheel adapters to fit the 6 lug viper wheels. It might not be cheaper than having wheels widened, but it would mean you'd have easier replacements readily available if needed.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe

I'd love to take a spin in that beast
Yeah, I definitely had to pick my jaw up. Though, yes, I'd like to have the Chevy version of that, I'd definitely drive that in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: 8.0 into a 1/2 ton project