PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

72 4x4 MP T70 turbo 5.3 and bags buildup

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulation on getting it going it's looking good, glad to see some pics and a vid.

I've got a question about your bump steer, did the truck have it before or did you just notice it after the swap? I talked to the guys over at ORD about what I think is bump steer and they didn't think that my tires or lift were big enough to cause the problem and that cross over steering wouldn't fix it. Seems weird to me that I didn't really notice it before my swap but I've got it pretty good now, especially under hard acceleration. Just food for thought, if you find anything out I'd be interested in it.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I never noticed it before, but I'm pretty sure its because of the way my 4 link bars pivot from the back, where the stock springs pivot from the front, like the stock steering arm does. Mine is the worst then I hit a decent bump, it cut right pretty significantly, not to mention I took the steering stabilizer off and haven't put it back on yet. Had a server case of the death wobble the other night that scared the crap out of me . Got a new heavy duty one ordered now.

I think I'm gonna do my cross over steering a little different. I want to minimize the bump steer as much as possible so I'm going to make the steering rod the same length as my panhard bar and then attach it to the stock tie rod and also put it at the same angle as the panhard bar. (I have to swap the way the panhard bar is mounted now though.) I think if those two are the same length and same angle, then they should travel at the same rate and have no bump strear no mater how much the front goes up or down. I hope it works,
Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good Kyle. Congrats on getting it running.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'm no expert on steering geometry, but I was wondering if your bump steer problems might be related to caster angle? Can't a negative caster angle cause the "death wobble"? Have you tried to set the caster angle on that 4 link yet?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
I'm no expert on steering geometry, but I was wondering if your bump steer problems might be related to caster angle? Can't a negative caster angle cause the "death wobble"? Have you tried to set the caster angle on that 4 link yet?
I kept the caster the same as it was with the leafs, about 5.5* positive according to my digital level. It's easy to adjust, just have to lengthen or shorten the lower bars on the 4-link. I have a remain 2wd steering box coming, should be here next week. All ready got the steering rod and other stuff I need. I'm pretty sure this will fix it . I use to set chassis up on NASCAR race cars for a living, so I think a 4x4 truck shouldn't be to hard,
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any further updates?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got all the insulation and carpet install on the interior and am in the middle of redoing the steering right now. I'll have some more pics pretty soon
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Awesome work man, its come a long way!
Bet your pops is getting anxious too.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, here is the pics I promised. I got the cross over steering done, but still not real happy with it, Pretty slow steering and doesn't "feel" tight, but most of the bump steer is gone. The truck drive nice, and tracks very well, just don't like the "feel". But that's a problem to fix another day. I'm calling this done for now. Dad can drive it and be happy for a while. He said he's going to try and do the body work so, we'll see, . The truck runs VERY strong for only 5 psi, he should be happy . I'll get some pic with the box back on and of how the interior turned out.

Quick Reply: 72 4x4 MP T70 turbo 5.3 and bags buildup