PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2014 Sierra, third time's the charm... I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Very nice!

Might want to get poly motor mounts while you have the engine out, just saying
Do they even exist for these things? I had thought about getting my buddy to CNC some solid ones, and then realized that this is still first and foremost a street truck with leather seats and A/C. So I nixed that idea. I would be sold on a set of poly mounts though.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Oh, yours is an LT engine isn't it? I haven't made any mounts for those yet but I probably could if you want some.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Oh, yours is an LT engine isn't it? I haven't made any mounts for those yet but I probably could if you want some.
I'm listening...
Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Getting some more of the turbo build pics up...

I used a Treadstone 4" core, I am so happy with how it worked all summer long. No crossflow pressure drop and IAT's to be proud of. My only complaint is that it looks pretty small behind the giant GMC grille, despite it being a very large intercooler.

I smoothed out all the factory nubs and casting marks off the left side stock manifold.

Both the blow off valve and wastegate were hardlined in stainless.

I've always been in love with exhaust and screamer pipes on turbo trucks coming out the bumper/fender/hood, but again in the interest of keeping this a pleasant, streetable vehicle I kept to just putting the screamer pipe in the bumper, which I love.

We're almost to the finish! One more post likely and then I'll start posting this years round up updates, including the carnage that caused it. Until then!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by HooWybrow
I'm listening...
I haven't had any demand or need for Gen5 mounts yet, but if you are interested in a set and can wait a few weeks I will buy a stock mount to measure from and make you a set of poly mounts similar to my GMT800 and GMT900 poly mounts.

Truck is looking very nice, good job on the fab work!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

I haven't had any demand or need for Gen5 mounts yet, but if you are interested in a set and can wait a few weeks I will buy a stock mount to measure from and make you a set of poly mounts similar to my GMT800 and GMT900 poly mounts.

Truck is looking very nice, good job on the fab work!
Send me a PM with some of your other mounts! I'm definitely not in any rush as I don't even have a motor put together yet.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

What RPM did that cam pull to? I have an L86 as well and I look around just for fun...

What size turbo did you use? If I remember right it was a 475? How much boost did you end up pushing it to before it let go?

I wonder if the CTSV 6L90e converter would work with the 6L80e and L86 from the new gen trucks. If so that would be a decent factory upgrade for just a tad more stall speed. It's dual clutch as well.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
What RPM did that cam pull to? I have an L86 as well and I look around just for fun...

What size turbo did you use? If I remember right it was a 475? How much boost did you end up pushing it to before it let go?

I wonder if the CTSV 6L90e converter would work with the 6L80e and L86 from the new gen trucks. If so that would be a decent factory upgrade for just a tad more stall speed. It's dual clutch as well.
Truthfully, I think the turbo fell off before the cam did, pretty confident we were losing the turbo by high 5K's... aside from that I can't remember. My tuner loved the cam though. Still has nothing bad to say about it.

The previous turbo was an 83/74 1.10A/R, the new one is a 96/76 1.10A/R. The truck made about 750 who on 13lbs. When the motor ultimately stopped spinning we were still making 13lbs or so IIRC but had the timing way out of it as we were just trying to get the shift points dialled in at the track.

I actually had a ZL1 converter in it, it let me stall to high 2k rpm range and worked really well even in the heavy *** truck. AND it was super cheap (~$300 from the dealer).
Old 07-05-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

No ****! Great to know that fits.

I have BAD thoughts running through my head right now. LSA converter and a T6 475 on 8-10 PSI with a mild cam. It would make this L86 sing... and turbos are like an additional muffler so it could keep it quiet. The wifey to be wouldnt even know...
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
No ****! Great to know that fits.

I have BAD thoughts running through my head right now. LSA converter and a T6 475 on 8-10 PSI with a mild cam. It would make this L86 sing... and turbos are like an additional muffler so it could keep it quiet. The wifey to be wouldnt even know...
Honestly, it was such a great vehicle with a turbo on it. I can't wait to get it back out again. I had straight 4" exhaust on it as well and it was still pretty quiet. You could run stock exhaust with a cut-out and life would be good.

Quick Reply: 2014 Sierra, third time's the charm... I hope.