PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2009 Crew Cab - Stage III Build Begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Have you made any progress? Any joy rides?
Just got the update to my tune cause Justin was out on vacation last week. Hoping to take it out and give it the spurs this week.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Excellent! Glad to hear it. Should be feisty.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally returned it to daily driver status today. Few notes:
The trans makes a bit more whine now than it used to, which I have read from a couple people with this converter.
The truck did lose a bit of low end and it is more obvious when the tcc is locked as it pulls hills. It really comes alive with just a few hundred more rpm when it unlocks.
It may have lost down low, but based on a few 50-70 percent throttle snaps, it feels every bit as strong as it once was, and this is at 3-4k rpm. I can't wait to uncork it.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM

I'm sure it's gonna be a monster.

Yea the cam you're running has a very late intake close and a very early exhaust open. Not good for low end snap. Hell its wider than my cam...

Are you running any more pulley than you were with the last combo?
Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure it's gonna be a monster.

Yea the cam you're running has a very late intake close and a very early exhaust open. Not good for low end snap. Hell its wider than my cam...

Are you running any more pulley than you were with the last combo?
I had a 3.1, 2.9, and 2.8 made and with the belts I have the 3.1 works with my old 6 rib, but I have been driving with the 2.9 on the 8 rib because my 6 rib squeeks. Only problem I have is that the belt touches the thermostat housing. I really need a 111.5 inch belt to move the tensioner to the next notch, but since no one makes that, I may have to make a new plate with the tensioner locator between two of the current ones and keep using the K081124.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Love the build and I have a dumb question where did you find a Roush blower for your truck?? Didn't they only make a few hundred of them before they stopped production. How long have you had the blower?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought it off here from someone who bought several. I know he made money off me, but I have as much in the blower converted to 8 rib and the rest of the pulleys as a standard Maggie 1900 setup.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:45 AM

Had it out for a full blast yet??
Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had it out for a full blast yet??
I wish. I got about 100 miles on it before getting sent out of town for business. I should get a couple hundred a week in once i make it home August 1st. Once i get an oil change in and a few tune revisions, ill find my way to a track or a dyno for some numbers.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update: Finally got 500 miles on her last Friday. I took it out for a quick run on Saturday for some groceries and heard a bit of banging around. Turns out the 4 bolts holding the water pump pulley on had started to back out. A little loctite later and everything was good again. Next day, I got the oil changed, but when I started it up...had a bad belt squeal that just kept getting worse and worse. Pulled the belt and found that one of the idler bearings had $hit its grease out and was hanging real bad. So, I ordered a new one and pulled the snap ring out to get the old one out...but it was STUCK hard. So I ended up taking it to work where it took 10 tons worth of pressure on the hydraulic press to pop that sucker out. My guess is the pulley is machined, then clear coated, and the bearing pressed in...which makes for a really tight glued in bearing which probably had too much preload on the outside to live. Anyway, I got the new bearing back in yesterday and drove to work today.

I can tell the TCC lockup is not exactly right in the tune and the engine tune is only running 11-12.5 degrees of timing WOT, so it is super conservative and needs more work. But I can definitely see a glimmer of hope with this thing...she can flat BOOGY. The power feels more like dad's procharger now with this cam, but I think that makes it deceptively quick once that top end comes on. I'll try to get some more tune updates and then maybe get a video or maybe a dyno or track day. Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: 2009 Crew Cab - Stage III Build Begins