PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 "ls6" rcsb

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 "ls6" rcsb

My 4.8 had 153,000 miles on it when last week the water pump started to leak through the weep hole. I recently rebuilt an ls1 that I bought for $400 out of an 97 camaro. I got some low mileage (19k) 243 heads from a GTO, which looked great, so I didn't touch them. Then I had Ed Curtis grind me a custom cam spec'd for a truck application, along with a comparable Lunati spring kit and ls7 lifters. I call it an LS6, but it really isn't, as you now know. Well it fired right up and idles great, but it doesn't drive worth a damn. I knew it would need a tune, but was hoping since I am reusing all of the trucks original stuff, like inj, intake, maf, exhaust, that it would at least hobble to the dyno for a tune. It looks like I will either have to tow to the tuner, or get a tune "close enough" tune on it somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions on a tuning software/flasher that has an easy learning curve?

Waiting for new guts.

Old guts.

Wifey telling me where to stick it.

Fuzzy side shot

New "ls6"

I'll have to do some research on the HP tuners, since its the most popular, but any help is appreciated. How much will it cost to get me started tuning?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Teching In

I'm no expert so don't take my suggestion to heart. But my best idea would be to call around to Local Dyno tuners and ask what they use or suggest. That way you can use a compatible tuner to what your dyno will also be using. But that would be most useful if you had the intentions of learning how to tune.

Hope this helped a little.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Lots of people like HP tuners. That's what was used when they tuned my Camaro and my truck. But tuning is difficult. I'm sure you can search some forums for tuning tips. I think HP tuners is probably between $400-$600 but a local shop with a dyno will probably cost between $200-$350 for a tune.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get an LS1 out of a '97 Camaro? Had it been swapped in there? '97s had LT1s.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Badlands
Lots of people like HP tuners. That's what was used when they tuned my Camaro and my truck. But tuning is difficult. I'm sure you can search some forums for tuning tips. I think HP tuners is probably between $400-$600 but a local shop with a dyno will probably cost between $200-$350 for a tune.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get an LS1 out of a '97 Camaro? Had it been swapped in there? '97s had LT1s.
Im not sure where i got 97 from. It was a 2002. The shops in my area charge twice that. Im sure I could find one cheaper, but I really don't want to deal with a shitty tune again. Id rather pay the premium than waste my time.

So far I'm looking at Lashway Motorsports, Inc.. But I'm open to suggestions in the south florida area.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

People seem to have good things to say about redline motorsports also.

We'll see who gets back to me.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Justhereforinfo
Im not sure where i got 97 from. It was a 2002. The shops in my area charge twice that. Im sure I could find one cheaper, but I really don't want to deal with a shitty tune again. Id rather pay the premium than waste my time.

So far I'm looking at Lashway Motorsports, Inc.. But I'm open to suggestions in the south florida area.
Wow! That's a lot for a shop tune. Well if you decide to tune it yourself. Good luck. Just change a little at a time.

Oh ok, an '02 makes since now. Lol
Old 11-04-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Tuned

Well after more research, and contacting Dan "the Man" Maslic, who wrote a book on tuning ls motors, I was refered to Howard at Redline Motorsports. Howards shop works on nothing but high dollar, top notch builds. Some sick twin turbo 427 vettes, and zl1s. Badass cars. So I had to drop the truck off and patiently wait in line. They use a Land and Sea Dynomite dyno, which is load bearing and ideal for tuning. The truck made 313 whp and 323 wtq, through a 4l60e, and 275/50/20 tires.

The Flowtech Induction cam was designed for street driving, and to have excellent manors. Not for racing or max effort. Specs were 215/223 609/592 112. The long block is a 5.7 ls1 with 243 heads and a lunati spring kit. Everything else on the engine was reused from a stock 4.8 motor. Intake, injectors, maf, tb, exhaust, converter.

They said the motor did great for what it is. What do you think?

While this isnt a very exciting build, I've spent almost two years rebuilding this motor and researching ls stuff. So Im very excited to find out if It was worth the time. I chose the engine combination based on the desired outcome of what I want in my truck. Which is a stout engine replacement/upgrade that will retain the trucks usability and not sacrifice anything but a few mpgs.

I pick it up tomorrow.