PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2001 Frame up build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Haven't had that happen... but I did have a fitting blow off. Thankfully I was wearing a face sheild at the time cause it probally would have put a big gash in face if I wasn't.. It was some one else grinder and the fitting on both the hose and the tool were old and worn out. Needles to say we had all new fittings in are stall after that... if they leak or stick I chuckem in the trash. There less then $5 a peice and that is cheaper then going to the hospital. They usually dont break that often .
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

well frame was in factory spec! good to know
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by GMracer
well frame was in factory spec! good to know
Score!!! Now getter down and Painted
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome! I read back through the thread and you said on one of your welds you stressed the joints and inspected and repaired any cracks. A) how did you stress the joints and B) did you red dye teh welds to find the cracks? Did you do any stress relief to the frame after you did all that welding? If not that's pretty awesome that the frame didn't move too much, I guess they have enough of the stifness designed in to keep it from moving.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just gotta duck in here to say DAYMN!

Bill
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by agreif
awesome! I read back through the thread and you said on one of your welds you stressed the joints and inspected and repaired any cracks. A) how did you stress the joints and B) did you red dye teh welds to find the cracks? Did you do any stress relief to the frame after you did all that welding? If not that's pretty awesome that the frame didn't move too much, I guess they have enough of the stifness designed in to keep it from moving.
well like I said I'm not a fabricator by trade so I basically just welded it solid and then when I ground it done I hit the edges with a hammer pretty good showing any fine cracks and re-welded making sure it penetrating real good then did it again... I basically welded ground it down then filled in low spots grind again then at least one sometime two more passes till it was perfectly flat and no cracks or pin holes.
So I guess no to the red dye thing... and I'm not sure what you mean stress relief? Next time I do this I plan to have a frame table... and I want to build more of it instead of changing something that was already designed and built. But this will do for now on my first frame up.
I'm happy it didn't move much too, means less I have to worry about~!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Great work!!! Congrats on the frame being staight, that amount of heat on can warp things pretty good.

As long as you prepped the edges properly you should not have any problems. What I mean about prep is grinding the edges to 45* so the connecting pieces look like a

___/\___

then butt the two pieces together, wipe down with acetone, then fill the valley with weld. That is how I was taught when I worked at a body shop when we did frame repairs....

building stuff like that is fun isn't it!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Great work!!! Congrats on the frame being staight, that amount of heat on can warp things pretty good.

As long as you prepped the edges properly you should not have any problems. What I mean about prep is grinding the edges to 45* so the connecting pieces look like a

___/\___

then butt the two pieces together, wipe down with acetone, then fill the valley with weld. That is how I was taught when I worked at a body shop when we did frame repairs....

building stuff like that is fun isn't it!!!
I didn't go that far as to wipe it down... but this was all a learning experience, next time I plan on doing a lot differently
It is fun, but I'm ready to get to the more detailed stuff of the build
Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I feel like i have been missing out....

Again this is first I have seen of this.. Very Impressive .. Built just how I like it ... A Chevy Truck built For you by You !! Very Impressive Build
Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man, sorry for the lack of updates this weekend had alot of other stuff to do, along with selling some parts I no longer need. Back to school for the week then I'll get new pictures when I work on it next weekend

Quick Reply: 2001 Frame up build