NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

Timing Retard Box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Retard Box?

I have been thinking, what if you could have the best of both worlds? What if you could reach your full potential NA, flip a switch and be ready to spray the **** out of it and not worry about leaning out, Knocking, KR, blown motors, etc? ( I know, I know, you can do it on HP tuners or other tuning software....mine was stolen so ) I have seen MSD timing retard boxes for a fairly easy price and a seem to work well on older motors. Would this work on our new setups without going through a huge ordeal (40 billion wires and such) and not costing an arm and a leg. Just curious if anybody has done this?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

How the hell did your HP tuners just get stolen? You cant get it back from HPtuners or anything???

I know that if you know someone iwth EFI live they can setup to when you activate your arm switch it changes to a Nitrous activated system. Rhino79 has been doin alot of research on that lately. I think we may be trying that REAL soon!!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

not sure what you can do with the lsx motors because there is no real distributor but I am sure there is something. I am using a MSD digital 6al and it has a lead on the box that when supplied 12 volts (the flip of the n20 arming switch) it will retard the timing up to 8 degrees. I have it set on 5 degrees currently. It is a great little device I run this and a fuel pressure cut off so if my FP drops it kills the ground to the fuel and n20 noids.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
How the hell did your HP tuners just get stolen? You cant get it back from HPtuners or anything???

I know that if you know someone iwth EFI live they can setup to when you activate your arm switch it changes to a Nitrous activated system. Rhino79 has been doin alot of research on that lately. I think we may be trying that REAL soon!!

One day it was in my truck, the other day my interface was gone. I had it posted in the southern section. It sucks when you pay $5XX.XX and some dirty bastard takes it and there is no way i can get a new interface without paying the fee again. I even asked the dude at HP tuners for just 2 credits on an interface to use for my truck and they wouldnt do it.

I remember hearing that Z06 Dreaming has a setup with some kind of retard box but he hasnt been on in a while.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

There are a couple of different timing tuners available that will do exactly what you are looking for (don't think any yet for LS2 applications).

OR

you can do it the way mine is set-up (LS2), and have them put your timing retard in the -40*C timing tables of your tune. Then all you need to do is wire a switch to break your IAT sensor circuit that will fool it into thinking it is -40*C and voila you have a nitrous tune at the flip of a switch.

***on my '06 TBSS we ended up having to actually wire a resistor (simulates -31*C) to the switch instead of just breaking the circuit because the open IAT circuit which defaults to -40*C is constantly checked by the vehicles diagnostics and would throw a code. Normally in LS1 and even pre'06 LS2's, as long as you flicked the switch (ie break the IAT sensor circuit) after you started the vehicle, it wouldn't throw any codes. See link for basic schematic of my "nitrous tune switch" set-up.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21...tchCircuit.jpg
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Thats freaking cool....AND CHEAP... I was gonna go ***** deep in a $250 timing puller/ window switch but hell, that would be great!!! This may be the route to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I am using the MSD 6010 controller which is made for our lsx engines.

This compact ignition controller is fit with matching factory connectors for a direct installation. Only a handful of connections are required; the coils, crank sensor, MAP
sensor and the cam sensor. This Controller also allows you to map a timing advance curve with MSD’s easy-to-use Pro-Data+ software. Other features that you can set include a two step rev limiter, a vacuum advance curve for cruising economy and even a step retard in case you want to add a little nitrous to the mix.

Carbureted LS-1 Ignition Controller PN 6010*

Extension Harness PN 60101

http://www.msdignition.com/2005/2005_3.htm

LS-1 Ignition Controller

Look for the icon and buy MSD products on our website!
Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

The LS1 Timing Tuner will do just that. MSD has a new box out that does the timing retard/advance that the LS1 Timing Tuner does, but I don't know if it has a RPM Window Switch integrated in it or what their price point is for it. The IAT tricker mod(s) work on some model years, but not all. A lot of the earlier operating systems don't have the tables needed that the later ones have. Your last option would be one of the custom operating systems that EFI Live has (the Nitrous OS).

Matt
Old 12-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Thanks Matt!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@HSW
The LS1 Timing Tuner will do just that. MSD has a new box out that does the timing retard/advance that the LS1 Timing Tuner does, but I don't know if it has a RPM Window Switch integrated in it or what their price point is for it. The IAT tricker mod(s) work on some model years, but not all. A lot of the earlier operating systems don't have the tables needed that the later ones have. Your last option would be one of the custom operating systems that EFI Live has (the Nitrous OS).

Matt
Yep, that's what I'm running. And it does double as a window switch

Quick Reply: Timing Retard Box?