retarded newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default retarded newbie questions

whats a window switch?
whats a safety switch?
wot switch is obvious but how does it hook up?
whats the diff between wet/dry shot.
how much of a diff is there between single nozzle and direct port?
about how much am i looking to spend for 100 shot w/ everything.

i want to do 100 shot on my 5.3. right now it has stock heads but in the future i will have wcch stage 2. stock heads should be alright with 100 shot shouldnt they? ive been looking at posts, but i wanted to see if i can get the info i want all in one thread.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im no nitrous guru, but here's some info

a switch that cuts off your nitrous during the shifts to make it easier on your trans. you set a rpm limit and the nitrous cuts off after that, say 6200rpm for example.

there is no just a safety switch, there is a fuel pressure safety switch, FPSS. it shuts down the nitrous if the fuel pressure falls below a certain psi.

not sure on the WOT switch

wet shot means that both nitrous and fuel is injected at the same time. dry shot means only nitrous is injected and relies on the MAF to add enough fuel to compensate for the nitrous.

not sure what you mean here but i have heard that a plate system hits harder than a nozzle. no need for direct port on a 100shot IMO

with all the safeties and bells and whistles, you could easily spend $800-1,000 on a quality nitrous setup.

stock heads are fine until you get greedy with the spray
Old 09-03-2007, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a friend running a WOT switch on his truck.... basically how his works is he has a small switch plate mounted near his throttle body arm that moves when you touch teh throttle..... when he goes WOT the arm touches a mechanism that closes a circut..... just like any other kind of switch does.... when it closes it comepletes the circut and sprays nitrous

direct port > plate > nozzle.... in my opinion atleast.... for what you are wanting i dont see teh need to go direct port... i am using a nitrous outlet plate wet system..... its works very well and is easy to install..... no need to spend real big $$ on a direct port.... not right now atleast haha

nitrous outlet>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Nitrous kit $699

then you can add things from there.... heater... gauges.... 2 stage... etc etc
Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't think you need (or if you can even wire one up?) a WOT switch with a drive by wire throttle body. I think most systems can be wired to use the TPS to know when the truck is at WOT.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

whats the bottle heater for, to increase pressure?. what are the things you should be monitoring with a gauge beside fuel pressure a/f ratio etc.

the plate sounds like the way to go. it goes between the throttle body and manifold right? like a tb spacer.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

and how much does it typically cost to filla 10lb bottle?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

most places are around 3-4 a pound so 30-40 bucks to fill a bottle but you never want to run a bottle empty..you always want to use enough to keep around 2-3 pounds left in because will not have enough pressure in your bottle (1000psi) to run properly with a wet shot. a bottle heater builds pressure in the bottle you want to keep around 1000 psi in the bottle never run any under 900psi and your A/F will be too rich and never over 1100 at the max..your a/f will be too lean and possibly melt a piston or too..thats why some people give nitrous a bad rap because the people using it dont use to properly..
Old 09-03-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Bottle heater keeps the pressure at a fairly constant level. You want to keep the bottle pressure at about 950 or so. I think it was about 45 bucks last time I filled up my 10 lb bottle.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

go to the nitrous sponsors..on the right..most kits dont come with a purge and bottle heater kit, so that will be extra..you need a bottle heater for sure..a purge is not that necessary
Old 09-03-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

DO NOT get the zex smart dry kit..runs off vaccum to the fuel pressure regulator, supposed to fool the regulator into givin more fuel..does not work

Quick Reply: retarded newbie questions